- BREAKING: Collation of Bauchi governorship election results stopped by Court
- Video: Another building collapses in Lagos, many trapped!
- At least 100 people feared dead, 200 missing as cyclone hits Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- APC Lawmaker recently elected, Garba Muhammad Butalawa dies in Kano
- Popular Nigerian artist, Okwui Enwezor die of cancer
- Many trapped, injured as another building collapses at Shogoye Bus Stop in Ibadan
- APC Lawmaker, Ezekiel Afon slumps, dies after winning House Of Assembly election in Plateau State
- INEC office burnt down in Imo before announcement of election results
- APC candidate, Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq wins Kwara gubernatorial polls, declared governor-elect
- Boat carrying election results, INEC officials capsizes in Delta State; 12 missing
Bill Gates cancels $5m aid to Saudi charity following murder of journalist, Jamal Khashoggi
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation have decided to cancel most of its $5 million pledge to the MiSk Foundation, a Saudi charity headed by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
The “current situation” played a part in the Gates Foundation’s decision, a spokesperson told The Wall Street Journal, referring to the killing of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
“Jamal Khashoggi’s abduction and murder is extremely troubling. We are observing current events with concern,” the foundation said in a statement.
Khashoggi, a Saudi national and columnist for The Washington Post, was killed on October 2nd inside the Saudi consulate in Istanbul. After weeks of denying involvement, the Kingdom admitted he had been killed at the consulate and that it was premeditated.
The cutting of aid by Gates Foundation came amidst reports that Crown Prince Salman had disparaged Khashoggi as a member of the Muslim Brotherhood, in talks with US officials, after the journalist’s murder.