- Gunmen kill 10, kidnapped 3 women in Zamfara
- Rev. Fr. Mbaka escapes death in a failed assassination attempts, Adoration ministry cries out
- Reps cancel Ajaokuta Steel privatisation, asks FG to revive it with recovered Abacha loot
- NASS approve June 12 as Democracy Day
- 2019: Obasanjo, Atiku in closed door meeting, plans on how to wrestle power from Buhari
- ASUU strkie continues as meeting with FG ends inconclusive
- Former US president George Bush is dead
- OPC founder, Frederick Fasehun is dead
- Full list of those affected as FG freezes bank accounts of suspects on Nigeria Looters list
- Tension rocks Akwa Ibom as sacked lawmakers again shut down Assembly complex, move to impeach Speaker
Ebonyi state University fires 63 lecturers for sexual harassment, extortion, other offences
Students are encouraged to come up with report of sexual harassment so that the school will look into it. They should talk to the authorities and they will be protected if they are afraid make an open report on it.
Management of Ebonyi state University (EBSU) on Thursday said it has sacked 63 lecturers for various infringements. Among the infringements include alleged certificate forgeries, sexual harassment and extortion.
Public Relations Officer of the University, Patrick Itumo confirmed the sack to newsmen. He noted that some of the people sacked were adjunct lecturers of the school who have over stayed in the university.
According to him, most of the staff sacked were said to have obtained their West African School Certificate Examination (WAEC) before their First School Leaving Certificate.
They were also said to have falsified their age certificates and other relevant credentials.
The spokesman said the sack followed audit report submitted by a committee set up to verify credentials of workers of the institution.
Rumour has it that over 300 persons were affected by the sack but the spokesman said only 63 were dismissed.
“They are not over 300 as being speculated. As I speak to you, they are 63 in number that has been disengaged”.
“There is this audit report that was brought out from where these people were disengaged, 63 of them. Some of them have age discrepancies in their records. Some people obtained doubtful First school leaving certificates; some obtained their WAEC before their First School Leaving Certificates.
“There are people who should have retired at the age of 65 or 70 years and they are still in service and also some Adjunct Professors who come from various places whose contracts has been reviewed up to five times. As of now, nobody among these people has been reinstated.
The spokesman urged students who have suffered sexual harassment to come up with make a report to the school authorities for prompt action.
He promised that the school management will protect such students from victimization.
“Students are encouraged to come up with report of sexual harassment so that the school will look into it. They should talk to the authorities and they will be protected if they are afraid make an open report on it. They should send message to the VC’s phone, to me or their course adviser they will be protected”.
You may like to read; Actress Omoni Oboli confirms sexual harassment in Nollywood, shares experience