- BREAKING: Collation of Bauchi governorship election results stopped by Court
- Video: Another building collapses in Lagos, many trapped!
- At least 100 people feared dead, 200 missing as cyclone hits Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- APC Lawmaker recently elected, Garba Muhammad Butalawa dies in Kano
- Popular Nigerian artist, Okwui Enwezor die of cancer
- Many trapped, injured as another building collapses at Shogoye Bus Stop in Ibadan
- APC Lawmaker, Ezekiel Afon slumps, dies after winning House Of Assembly election in Plateau State
- INEC office burnt down in Imo before announcement of election results
- APC candidate, Abdulrahman Abdulrasaq wins Kwara gubernatorial polls, declared governor-elect
- Boat carrying election results, INEC officials capsizes in Delta State; 12 missing
I’ve Not Made Money From Music, But I Still Do Music — Singer Kelly Hansome
At a time, Kelechi Orji, aka Kelly Hansome, was one of the leading artistes in Nigeria. His songs, including Maga Don Pay and Like Play, ruled the airwaves and it was expected that the popularity translated to wealth too.
But in a chat with newsmen, Kelly Hansome said he was yet to make money from music. He stated, “I have never received royalties for Maga don Pay and all those songs that brought me to the limelight. Anyway, I am not looking forward to getting it because it doesn’t feed me.
I am comfortable on my own; music has not really paid me. Have I signed an endorsement deal? Companies come to me but I don’t agree with their terms. You cannot use money to buy me because I am not desperate.
“I was hoping that the Copyright Society of Nigeria would do some calculation and pay artistes, but nothing has happened. We have a body but I have not heard from them in a while. I don’t even think of all that any longer.”
The singer also stated that he no longer lived in Nigeria, insisting that he was now involved in other things apart from music. He said, “I live in the United States of America; I only come to Nigeria when I have things to do. I have other things I do with my life now but I don’t like to reveal details. I have a family and I have a daughter to take care of.”
On collaborating with younger artistes such as Wizkid and Davido, he stated, “Collaborating with an artiste happens naturally. When you connect with an artiste, you make music together.
I cannot just collaborate with an artiste because he has sung one popular song when he doesn’t know me and I don’t know him. I have principles that guide me. I have tasted fame; so, I am not looking for it again. I still do music but I do it differently.”