- BREAKING: Court adjourns El-Zakzaky’s trial indefinitely
- INEC result TV Interpreter, Peter Oyekale stabbed, hospitalized (photos)
- Despite condemning some PDP’s evidences, Tribunal voids Oyetola’s victory, declares Adeleke winner of Osun Governorship Election
- BREAKING: Collation of Bauchi governorship election results stopped by Court
- Video: Another building collapses in Lagos, many trapped!
- At least 100 people feared dead, 200 missing as cyclone hits Mozambique and Zimbabwe
- APC Lawmaker recently elected, Garba Muhammad Butalawa dies in Kano
- Popular Nigerian artist, Okwui Enwezor die of cancer
- Many trapped, injured as another building collapses at Shogoye Bus Stop in Ibadan
- APC Lawmaker, Ezekiel Afon slumps, dies after winning House Of Assembly election in Plateau State
Military helicopter fighting Boko Haram goes missing in Borno
An helicopter of the Nigerian Air Force used for attacks, deployed in the fight against the Boko Haram insurgents has gone missing in action, with fears that the aircraft had crashed at a yet-to-be-ascertained location.
The Nigerian Air Force confirmed the missing aircraft in a release around 10.30pm on Wednesday, noting that the helicopter was lost in combat while providing close air support to troops of 145 Battalion at Damasak in Northern Borno State.
Northern Borno is a vulnerable area where the Islamic State of West African Province fighters were attempting to overrun military bases, with attacks on Metele, Buni Gari and Baga in the latest attempted invasion on December 26 and 27, 2018.
The NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, said the combat aircraft went missing about 7:45 pm on Wednesday, adding that details of the cause of the crash were still scanty.
He said, “A Nigerian Air Force helicopter was lost in combat while providing close air support to troops of 145 Battalion at Damasak in Northern Borno State. The mission was part of the ongoing counter-insurgency operations in the North-East.
“The incident occurred about 7:45 pm on January 2. Details of the cause of the crash are still scanty. As soon as the details of the crash are known, they will be made available to the public.”