- Breaking: Abducted ex-minister’s son, Dayo Adewole, regains freedom
- Breaking: Buhari returns Ahmed Idris as AGF
- Breaking: Luis Enrique resigns as Spain’s coach
- Breaking: Fire guts Benue’s largest market
- Breaking: Buhari signs Polytechnic, National Institute for Security bills into law
- JUST IN: Rufus Giwa Poly shut down indefinitely
- Just in: Buhari, APC govs meet in Aso Rock
- Breaking: Former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dies in court
- Breaking: AA suspends Okorocha‘s in-law
- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
The days of Lent: 5 tips for fasting this season
Lent is the period of fasting just before Easter.
Here are some tips for Catholics who are fasting during this period.
1 . Avoid those things that tempt you
As Lent is the period to give up worldly things, the best technique is to get rid of and avoid the things might have some influence over you.
2. Drink water first
Most times while fasting, you begin to experience headaches and dizziness, especially during a dry fast. This is because your blood sugar is falling because of your hunger strike and you are feeling dehydrated because of lack of water.
It is therefore advisable to drink at least a glass of water before grubbing up on your food.
3 . Eats lots of fresh fruits
Easily digestible fruits with high water content such as grapes and watermelon are best for re-hydrating the body and getting you feeling a bit back-to-normal. They will provide the body with energy and essential nutrients. Other fruits include but are not limited to dates, pineapple, paw paw, apple, bananas. Avoid citrus fruits, such as grapefruits, as their high acidic content may upset your stomach.
4 . Go for protein and veggies over carbs
Eat one or more hard boiled eggs or finish up with some greens. Eggs are one of the easiest ways to restock your body with protein as one eggs supplies six grams of high-quality protein and all 9 essential amino acid.
Vegetable soups, while also easily digestible, provide the body with Vitamins A through E as well as many essential minerals. According to Kitchen Butterfly, examples of soups for breaking your fast include Pepper soup, Mushroom soup, Chestnut & Meatball soup, Dumpling soup, Mustard soup and Tapioca & Coconut soup.
5. Eat carbs too
Include complex carbohydrate in your meal when you break too. An example of this is sweet potatoes, which provide just the right amount of energy without excessively raising your blood sugar levels. They are also loaded with beta-carotene, Vitamin C and potassium. Other meals include yam, chicken, fish, beef, lamb, rice, seafood, pasta, etc.