- Breaking: Jigawa Speaker Hon. Idris Garba, Chief Whip and Majority Leader impeached at the same time
- BREAKING: VC of Kwara State University sacked with immediate effect
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force Pilot, Air Commodore Udenyi killed in Lagos while awaiting promotion to Air Vice Marshall
- Breaking: Taraba State permanent secretary, Susana Jonathan kidnapped by gunmen
- BREAKING: Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon slumps in Delta State during ‘military salute’ at a graveside
- Breaking: Kano State Government sacks all permanent secretaries
- Breaking: UBEC chairman, daughter regain Freedom
- BREAKING: UBEC chairman, daughter kidnapped along Kaduna-Abuja expressway, Driver shot dead
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
Fresh crisis looms in APC as North Central rejects Gbajabiamila, zoning
A fresh crisis is now looming in the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC), over the zoning of the Speakership of the 9th National Assembly, to the South-West geo-political zone of the country.
APC on Tuesday, zoned the position to the South-West and micro zoned it to Lagos. The party went on to announce Hon. Femi Gbajabiamila as the adopted candidate of the party for the position.
However, addressing newsmen in Abuja at the National Assembly on Wednesday, the North Central Caucus of the APC in the House of Representatives rejected the arrangement, describing it as unfair and undemocratic which it said will not stand the text of the time.
The Caucus declared that zoning of the position to the South-West was not fair and at the detriment of the Central Zone, which has neither produced Speaker nor the Deputy since 1999.
According to the Caucus, “we are therefore appealing to the Party to have a rethink and rezone the Speakership to the North Central for justice and fair play.”
However, the leader of the Caucus, who addressed the Press, Hon John Dyegh, flanked by other members announced his intention to vie for the position and rolled a seven-point agenda to pursue if elected the Speaker.