- BREAKING: AGF takes over Sowore’s case from DSS
- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
Teni’s ‘Romance’ With Wizkid, How She Started Music And Her Profile
Teni’s journey to stardom can be described to be a product of good talent and extreme hard work.
Teni is one of the fast raising Nigerian singers breaking grounds beyond the four corners of the country. She infuses comedy into her music whenever she sings – this has earned her more attention from lovers of comedy and music.
Early Life and Education
Teniola Apata, better known as Teni, hails from Ekiti state, she was born on December 12, 1992 in Lagos State of Nigeria. The chubby singer is the younger sibling of popular musician Niniola.
Teni attended Apata Memorial High School before proceeding to American Inter-Continental University where she got a degree in Business Administration.
Also known as ‘The Entertainer’ and ‘Teni Makanaki’, Teni’s journey in music began when she was two years old in school where she used to be a band member, drumming. She started music professionally in 2016 following her record deal with multiple award-winning Nigerian music producer Shizzi’s Magic Finger Records.
Looking up to great musicians like King Wasiu Ayinde, King Sunny Ade, Ebenezar Obey, Osita Osadebe and Dolly Parton; Teni kick-started her professional career with series of freestyle music on social media, dropping different freestyles on different genre of songs.
In the year 2017, Teni got signed into Dr. Dolor Entertainment after her exodus from Shizzi’s record label, which she described as “the best feeling in the world. I feel blessed to be signed to my brother. He gives me the freedom to explore different sounds. Shizzi is someone that I’ve learnt so much from and there’s no better person to share greatness with, than him. He believed in me since the first time I met him in 2013.”
Under the Dr. Dolor Entertainment imprint, she released her debut single ‘Fargin’ that was widely accepted by her fans on social media. This track introduced her to more industry executives as her career started improving.
Teni eventually got her big break after releasing hit singles, ‘Askamaya’, ‘Case’ and ‘Uyo Meyo’, she won the souls of Nigerians and she became a household name. Teni is very hard working and consistent, she didn’t allow her chubby stature overawe her as she uses it to her plus.
In a very short period, award organisers started recognizing the new breed with different nominations and she won a handful of awards in 2018. Teni won Rookie of the Year at the 2018 Headies Awards, and Most Promising Act to Watch at the 2018 Nigeria Entertainment Awards, Best New Artist at 2018 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival.
On 20 February 2019, Teni was featured on YouTube Music’s Trending Artist on the Rise. Her latest single, ‘Sugar Mummy’ became an instant hit days after its release.
- Fargin (2017)
- Askamaya (2017)
- Case (2018)
- Uyo Meyo (2018)
- 2018 The Headies – Rookie of the Year
- 2018 Soundcity MVP Awards Festival – Best New Artist
- 2018 Nigeria Entertainment Awards – Most Promising Act to Watch
Teni stirred up controversy after she shared a video of herself insulting a foreigner in Yoruba language recently. She was criticized by her fans on social media and tagged her racist for using such language. They didn’t mind if she was joking or not.
The singer in a recent interview anchored by rapper Falz on Flytime Promotions’ The Journey, she made a shocking revelation that she was dating Wizkid. The rapper didn’t believe his ears and decided to push Teni further, she insisted she was dating the ‘Daddy Yo’ crooner but he (Wiz) didn’t just know about it yet.
In another interview – rather serious this time, she said her primary focus was on music, however, would like to have a family of her own. “For now, music is my primary focus. Of course, at some point in the future, I will like to have a family of my own but for now, I am in a relationship with my music,” she said.