- Breaking: Jigawa Speaker Hon. Idris Garba, Chief Whip and Majority Leader impeached at the same time
- BREAKING: VC of Kwara State University sacked with immediate effect
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force Pilot, Air Commodore Udenyi killed in Lagos while awaiting promotion to Air Vice Marshall
- Breaking: Taraba State permanent secretary, Susana Jonathan kidnapped by gunmen
- BREAKING: Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon slumps in Delta State during ‘military salute’ at a graveside
- Breaking: Kano State Government sacks all permanent secretaries
- Breaking: UBEC chairman, daughter regain Freedom
- BREAKING: UBEC chairman, daughter kidnapped along Kaduna-Abuja expressway, Driver shot dead
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
Hit-and-run driver leaves 2-year-old Nigerian girl in US badly injured
A 2-year-old Nigerian girl in US has been left in critical condition at a New Jersey hospital after a hit-and-run driver crashed into her on Mother’s Day. Police tracked down the driver, who was quickly arrested.
The victim’s family lives in a nearby apartment building. It was just a short walk to church across the street on Sunday morning when little Eno Jameson was hit while walking alone. The driver simply took off.
“Sad on Mother’s Day. It’s not meant to be this way,” said Itoro Jameson, the victim’s father, adding when asked why his daughter was alone outside, “[My wife] thought she was with me. I thought she was with her and I think she came out the door herself.”
Surveillance video shows the pick-up truck that police said hit the 2-year-old and then just kept going, right after two cars narrowly miss her as she lies badly injured in the middle of Brookdale Avenue near 18th Avenue.
“This morning when I came here there were a lot of police here and a little kid was crossing the street and then I guess the car hit the little girl,” family friend Nagela Saint Fleur said.
Police said 26-year-old Romane Errol Sr. of Newark was behind the wheel when he slammed into the toddler just before 9:40 a.m. Detectives discovered his truck nearby shortly after and took him into custody.