- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Ikpeazu’s election, dismisses Alex Otti’s petition
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses petition against Taraba Gov, Ishaku’s election
- BREAKING: Reps orders CBN to suspend cashless policy
- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Udom’s election Victory
- BREAKING: Buhari sacks Head of Service, Oyo-Ita
- BREAKING: Second batch of 315 Nigerians arrive from South Africa
- BREAKING: Running mate crisis: Dickson sacks special adviser
- BREAKING: Buhari dissolves panel established by Osinbajo, issues new order to AGF Malami
- BREAKING: South Africa grants landing permit to Air Peace — Mission
- BREAKING: Delay in landing rights approval shifts evacuation of Nigerians
Customs seize two containers of donkey skin in Lagos
Customs official has described donkey skin as an item under export prohibition, aimed at preventing the animals from extinction.
Two containers of donkey hides, also known as ponmo, have been seized by Customs operatives attached to the Federal Operations Unit in Lagos
The containers were estimated to cost about N15 billion.
While briefing Journalists, Controller of the unit, Aliyu Mohammed, disclosed that the animal skin were discovered at a location where they were being dried for export.
He described it as an item under export prohibition aimed at preventing the animals from extinction.
Mohammed declined disclosing the location where the hides were seized as not to jeopardise ongoing investigations.
His words: “We have seized the skin in two containers. As you can see, this is massive. One can only imagine how many donkeys have been killed to have this large number of donkey skin in two containers.
“We didn’t see the meat and it is possible they are being sold out to people as beef. As customs officers, we are going beyond duty collection to protect the lives of people.