- Breaking: Buhari signs Polytechnic, National Institute for Security bills into law
- JUST IN: Rufus Giwa Poly shut down indefinitely
- Just in: Buhari, APC govs meet in Aso Rock
- Breaking: Former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dies in court
- Breaking: AA suspends Okorocha‘s in-law
- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
- Osun Guber: What court decided on Senator Ademola Adeleke’s Appeal On Monday
- Breaking: Ondo youths shut down Gov. Akeredolu’s office
- Breaking: INEC receives applications for three new parties
- Breaking: Appeal Court strikes out suit challenging Ihedioha’s emergence as PDP guber candidate
IPOB attacking us with catapults, stones – Anambra Police
The Anambra State Police Command has accused members of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra IPOB of attacking its officers at their various points of duty in the state.
A statement released by the command says police officers that were sent out to destroy billboards, flags and insignia released by the group to inform the residents of the state on its May 30th sit-at-home order, were severely attacked by IPOB members today. The members of the proscribed group threw stones at the police officers, leaving many of them with serious injuries.
The statement added the police officers were however able to over power the members of the secessionist group and effected some arrest. The statement in part reads
” There was a report that the Indigenous People of Biafra came out in large number moving around with dangerous weapons and at the same time hoisting flags of the proscribed group on poles and billboards. Following the report, police operatives rushed to the scene in order to prevent them from mounting the flags but they engaged the police with catapults and stones.
“However, 12 suspects were arrested and over 50 flags with different inscriptions of IPOB/MASSOB and Biafran Independent movements recovered as exhibits. There was another intelligence report that some misguided elements suspected to be IPOB Members were sighted at various locations mounting Biafra flags along Ekwulobia -Uga Road in Aguata LGA of Anambra State.
“Police patrol teams pursued them and arrested 12 suspects while others escaped, 72 Biafran flags and items with Biafra inscriptions were recovered.”