- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
- BREAKING: Alleged money laundering: EFCC arraigns Atiku’s son-in-law, lawyer
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife not safe in Indian hospital, says IMN
- Breaking: Soldier finally arraigned for allegedly raping Ondo undergraduate
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife moved to Abuja
- Breaking: Lagos records first death in Saudi Arabia
EFCC nabs over 25 yahoo boys in Owerri
Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) on Monday, clampdown on suspected internet fraudsters, popularly known as ‘Yahoo Yahoo Boys’ in Owerri, the Imo state capital.
The incident, it was gathered, happened around Spibat avenue, a highbrow area suspected to be the haven of fraudsters.
No fewer than 25 suspects were arrested in the operation that lasted several hours.
A Police source who pleaded anonymity, said that the EFCC operatives had been in the state since Sunday, adding that the officials swung into action on Monday morning after Commissioner of Police, Rabiu Ladodo, approved their activity in the state.
According to the source: “The EFCC operatives from Southeast zonal office in Enugu arrived Owerri on Sunday and proceeded to the Command headquarters where their activity in the state was approved by the commissioner of police.”
“They have already crime mapped their activity in the state. They didn’t request for any assistance from the Police. What they required was for the CP to endorse their activity in the state.
“Immediately the CP approved their activity in the state they moved into action and went to Spibat avenue where ‘Yahoo Boys’ in the state live.
“As we speak, about 25 have been arrested. They are likely to keep them in our custody till tomorrow before they leave with them to Enugu tomorrow”.
Reacting, the Commissioner of Police confirmed EFCC operatives from Enugu were in the state for a covert operation.
He said that the EFCC Agents had reported to the Command Headquarters on Monday before proceeding with their activity in the state.