- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov Achuba impeached
- BREAKING: Gunshots in Abuja as police disperse protesting Shi’ites
- BREAKING: Again, fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha
- BREAKING: We’ll only register candidate with NIN for 2020 UTME – JAMB
- BREAKING: Fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha [VIDEO]
- BREAKING: Police raid another torture centre in Katsina
- BREAKING: Labour, Reps meeting failed to hold, as NLC seeks new date
- BREAKING: EFCC re-arraigns Atiku’s lawyer over $2m money laundering
- 18 days after kaduna house of horror, chained children found at religious centre in Daura
- BREAKING: Moghalu resigns from YPP, canvasses for electoral reform
Court remands 43-year-old man who allegedly raped 10-year-old girl
An Ikeja Chief Magistrates’ Court on Thursday remanded a 43-year-old man, Chukwuma Smart, in prison for allegedly having canal knowledge of his neighbour’s 10-year-old daughter.
The Chief Magistrate, Olufunke Sule-Amzat, who did not take plea of the defendant, ordered that he should be remanded in Kirikiri Prisons.
Sule-Amzat also ordered the police to send the case file to the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) for legal advice.
She adjourned the case until July 15.
The defendant, who lives at Iyana Ipaja area of Lagos, is facing a charge of defilement.
The Prosecutor, ASP Benson Emuerhi, had told the court that the defendant on April 3, unlawfully had canal knowledge of the girl at his residence.
“The defendant defiled his neighbour’s daughter by forcefully having sexual intercourse with her,” he said.
The prosecutor said that parent of the victim reported the case to the police, leading to the arrest of the defendant.
Emuerhi said the offence contravened the provisions of Section 137 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State, 2015.
Section 137 prescribes 14 years imprisonment if found guilty.