- Breaking: Tribunal rejects Atiku’s request to access INEC server
- JUST IN: Lawan’s SA on Media resigns
- Breaking: Two injured as building collapses in Lagos
- Breaking: Senate President, Ahmad Lawan withdraws appointment of media aide, Festus Adedayo
- Breaking: Tension in Bauchi Assembly as two Speakers emerge
- Breaking: Buhari appoints new GMD for NNPC
- Breaking: Abducted ex-minister’s son, Dayo Adewole, regains freedom
- Breaking: Buhari returns Ahmed Idris as AGF
- Breaking: Luis Enrique resigns as Spain’s coach
- Breaking: Fire guts Benue’s largest market
Jigawa Assembly elects Garba Kareka as Speaker
Members of the Jigawa State House of Assembly have re-elected Hon. Idrith Garba Kareka as Speaker of the State’s 7th assembly.
The new Speaker emerged as the winner of the position unopposed as the members nominated him alone.
Member representing Kanya Babba constituency, Hon. Haladu Usman nominated Kareka for Speaker of the 7th assembly and was seconded by Hon. Abubakar Sadiq Jallo, a member representing Hadejia constituency.
Meanwhile, the member representing Guri constituency, Hon. Suleiman Musa Kadra was elected as the Deputy Speaker.
The Clerk to the House, Malam Ya’u Malam Madori announced Kareka and Kadra as Speaker and Deputy Speaker of the 7th assembly following the absence of other nominations for the positions by the members.
Kareka is a member representing Jahun local government constituency and was elected as Speaker of the 6th assembly, but was impeached by the members for allegedly working against the interest of his colleagues.
In his acceptance speech, Speaker Kareka thanked members for the confidence reposed on him, and promised to work in the best interest of the 7th assembly.