- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
- BREAKING: APC has no guber candidate for Bayelsa election, Court declares
- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: We are ready to release Sowore – DSS
- BREAKING: Barely 24hrs after Oshiomhole Suspension, Edo APC suspends Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Deputy Gov, SSG
- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
INEC withdraws certificate of return from lawmaker
The Independent National Electoral Commission has withdrawn the Certificate of Return issued to Sina Akinwumi (APC), earlier sworn in to represent Okitipupa Constituency II in the Ondo State House of Assembly.
The certificate was on Tuesday reissued to James Ololade-Gbegudu, also of the APC, having been declared by the court as the winner of the party’s House of Assembly primaries held in October 2018.
Despite the outcome of the primaries, Mr Akinwumi was declared as the party’s candidate for the election.
The withdrawal of the certificate was on the strength of Mr Ololade-Gbegudu’s prayers at the court, seeking to be declared the authentic candidate of the APC in the March 9, 2019 election.
Presenting the certificate of return to Mr Ololade-Gbegudu at the commission’s headquarters in Akure, the INEC Resident Electoral Commisioner said a letter had been issued to Mr Akinwumi to vacate the seat at House of Assembly with immediate effect while the Certificate of Return earlier issued to him had since been withdrawn.
“The Speaker and the Clerk of the state House of Assembly have been ordered through a letter to comply with the judgement and swear in Gbegudu as a member of the Assembly,” he said.
Mr Ololade-Gbegudu, in his reaction, said he was happy that justice had been done and the truth had prevailed after several months of injustice.
He promised to dedicate himself to the service of his constituents.