- BREAKING: Tribunal nullifies Dino Melaye’s election
- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
Lawan under fire for sacking Festus Adedayo hours after appointment
The Coalition of United Political Parties CUPP, has lambasted the Senate President, Ahmed Lawan, for “sacrificing competence” by withdrawing the appointment of Festus Adedayo as his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity hours after the appointment was announced.
Adedayo, who has spoken on the cancellation of his appointment, was removed after supporters of the All Progressives Congress (APC) kicked against it.
Ikenga Imo Ugochinyere, CUPP spokesman, in a statement on Friday, condemned how Buhari government kitchen members, supporters and social media warriors allegedly on the payroll of the ruling APC and the presidency opposed the appointment.
“Their grouse was that the celebrated columnist has many times penned pieces that were critical of President MUHAMMADU Buhari who is the head of the Executive Arm of government and cannot be allowed to work with the head of the parliament who is a stooge of the Buhari government,” he said.
“It is surprising, to say the least, that the head of another arm of govt/Senate President Ahmed Lawan succumbed to the pressure from Aso Rock and quickly withdrew Dr. Adedayo’s nomination just for not been a stooge of the Executive arm of government.
“Opposition political parties view this development as primitive, show of intolerance and sacrifice of competence on the altar of Halleluyah politics.
“Senator Lawan has, by this singular act, proved Nigerians right that the Senate under his leadership will be an annex of the President Muhammadu Buhari-led executive arm of government.
“The CUPP hereby declares the Senate President as Buhari’s boy over his decision to sack his aide for refusing to pledge loyalty to the President.
“Senator Ahmed Lawan has, with this decision, left no one in doubt that the Ninth Senate under his leadership is an extension of Buhari Aso Rock bedroom. That is his mission and he will go to any length to achieve this.”