- BREAKING: I got presidential results from website, says Atiku’s witness
- Breaking: Mikel Obi announces retirement from Super Eagles, gives reasons
- BREAKING: Army investigates viral video of soldier assaulting motorist in Lagos
- Breaking: 60 persons escape death as hotel collapses in Ebonyi
- Breaking: Super Eagles defeat Tunisia to clinch Bronze
- BREAKING: Witness faults results of presidential election claimed by Atiku, PDP
- Breaking: Senate confirms Justice Tanko Muhammad as CJN
- Breaking: Tribunal issues subpoena on INEC Chair over Atiku, PDP’s complaints
- Breaking: Yinka Ayefele finally confirms wife’s delivery of triplets in US
- Breaking: Buhari plays video on INEC’s stand on results transmission
Super Eagles Getting Better – Joseph Yobo
Former national team captain, Joseph Yobo, has described the Super Eagles at the ongoing Africa Cup of Nations as a work-in-progress and believes they will get better as the competition continue.
The Nigeria side defeated Guinea 1-0 on Wednesday to secure their passage into the Round of 16 of the competition and Yobo said their performance was better than the first game against Burundi which also ended 1-0.
Defender Kenneth Omeruo scored the only goal of the game with a header off Moses Simon’s corner kick in the 73rd minute of the game.
While analysing the game on SuperSports, the longest serving defender said the team must take positives from the game and see how they could perform better in subsequent games.
“The team created some chances in the first half that they should have buried, but the most important thing is the maximum three points,” he said.
“We have to take the positives as the team improved in the second half and they deserved the victory and most importantly, the clean sheet.
“Six points from two matches and clean is a good one for the team and I see them performing better in the last group game against Madagascar.
“Today (Wednesday) they improve, in the next game they will play better. When we won in 2013, we started slowly and continue to improve till we won the trophy. It was a fantastic performance from the team.”
Meanwhile, Yobo has hailed the performance of defender Omeruo who scored the only goal of the match.
According to him, the Leganese of Spain defender has improved and added experience to his games after playing alongside him during his active days.
Yobo added: “He played alongside myself while in the national team and he has added a lot of experience to his game.
He had a wonderful season for his club and that has shown in his performance for the Eagles.
“He scored a fantastic goal and that was a good finish from him. It is good when you see a centre half scoring for the team. The cross was good also and if you look at it, he had to bend to connect with the ball.”
The Super Eagles need only a draw from their last match of the group phase against Madagascar on Sunday to finish top of the group and remain in Alexandria for their Round of 16 fixture.