- Breaking: Super Eagles defeat Tunisia to clinch Bronze
- BREAKING: Witness faults results of presidential election claimed by Atiku, PDP
- Breaking: Senate confirms Justice Tanko Muhammad as CJN
- Breaking: Tribunal issues subpoena on INEC Chair over Atiku, PDP’s complaints
- Breaking: Yinka Ayefele finally confirms wife’s delivery of triplets in US
- Breaking: Buhari plays video on INEC’s stand on results transmission
- Breaking: Buhari’s lawyer to play video of INEC Chair ruling out electronic transmission
- Breaking: Presidential Election Tribunal admits 48 compact discs as exhibits
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rules in suit seeking sack of Bulkachuwa
- Breaking: Buhari, APC, INEC object to move by Atiku, PDP to play video at tribunal
15 dead as wall collapses at construction site
At least 15 people were killed, including three children, when a compound wall near a construction site fell on temporary huts of labourers in the western Indian city of Pune following heavy rain, a fire brigade official said on Saturday.
Families of construction labourers were sleeping in the huts when the building wall collapsed in the early morning, he said.
“We are trying to rescue people that are trapped under the wall and the soil mud,” said the official, adding “so far we have rescued three workers.”
Pune, where some information technology and auto companies are based, has been getting heavy rainfall since Friday afternoon and it could have weakened “the poorly built wall”, said a Pune city government official.
Every June-September monsoon season, India experiences fatal incidents of building and wall collapses as rainfall weakens the foundation of poorly-built structures.