- BREAKING: AGF takes over Sowore’s case from DSS
- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
Algeria’s semi-final win; deserving and worthy – Nigeria Coach Rohr
Super eagles of Nigeria coach, Gernot Rohr has described the winning of Algeria against Nigeria as a worthy and deserving one.
Rohr said Algeria were worthy winners after Riyad Mahrez’s last-gasp free-kick threw his team through to a first Africa Cup of Nations final in 29 years.
The Manchester City winger, Mahrez fired in from 20 yards with the last kick of the game in Cairo to clinch a 2-1 victory after Nigeria forward Odion Ighalo had cancelled out a first-half own goal by William Troost-Ekong.
“It was a big fight until the last minute. Algeria did better in the first half than us but we came back in second half and we conceded this goal in the last minute,” said Rohr.
“I think the players wanted to go to extra time and believed Algeria would be tired and they could win in it extra time.”
“I have to congratulate the players for a big fight against this very good team. They won it in the last minute and they deserved it,” he added.
Rohr further praised the persistent determination of his team which bounced back strongly to a heartbreaking loss to Madagascar by trashing holders Cameroon and knocking-out South Africa, but they had no time to respond to a devastating blow of genius from Mahrez.
“It was a wonderful match, but we lost it so we are not happy. We scored an own goal which was unlucky but we came back like throughout the tournament when there was something difficult against us,” he said.
“A fantastic free-kick made the difference.”