- BREAKING: Court restrains AGF, ICPC from seizing ex-Gov, Yari’s properties
- JUST IN: Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu Stoned By Angry Igbo Men in Nuremberg Germany (Video)
- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
- BREAKING: Alleged money laundering: EFCC arraigns Atiku’s son-in-law, lawyer
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife not safe in Indian hospital, says IMN
- Breaking: Soldier finally arraigned for allegedly raping Ondo undergraduate
VAR controversy in AFCON final
The Video Assistant Referee came into action in the second half of the final of the Africa Cup of Nations in the beautiful Cairo International stadium.
The clash between the Teranga Lions of Senegal and the Desert Foxes of Algeria sparked into life in the second minute when Baghdad Bounedjah found the back of the net with a deflected shot.
Senegal began the second half with more passion and desire as they chased the game because they needed a goal to get back in the game. A swift counter-attack saw the ball strike the arm of an Algerian defender and referee Neant Alioum pointed to the spot immediately to award a penalty to the West African side.
— CAF (@CAF_Online) July 19, 2019
However, VAR called the referee back for a review as the defender seemed to try his very possible best to avoid contact with the ball. The referee had to consult the VAR at the touchline to be certain and he agreed with the VAR team and overturned his initial decision to the joy of the Algerians and despair of the Senegalese.
Senegal would be hoping to get back in the game and force it into extra-time while the final whistle cannot come early enough for Djamel Belmadi’s men who are hoping to secure a second continental title for Algeria.