- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
Belmadi Hails Algeria Players For ‘Extraordinary, Historic’ 2nd AFCON Title Feat
Algeria coach, Djamel Belmadi, has hailed his team’s “incredible” Africa Cup of Nations triumph, after they defeated Senegal 1-0 in Friday’s final.
Baghdad Bounedjah’s second minute goal, ensured they lifted the trophy for the first time since 1990.
“I’m very happy. Our whole nation, our people were waiting for this second star for a long time.
“It’s our first Cup of Nations won away from home. It’s incredible especially when you look at where we came from,” Belmadi told reporters after the game.
Belmadi was appointed last August, after eight years coaching in Qatar and has reinvigorated a talented but divided squad.
“I took over a team that was really struggling. To do what we’ve been able to do, and to put ourselves on the top of Africa in 10 months, is extraordinary.
“I’m a bit tired and it’s difficult to show these emotions but it will hit us later, once we’ve had a chance to rest a bit,” he added.