- BREAKING: AGF takes over Sowore’s case from DSS
- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
Lagos lawmaker Desmond Elliot has said that the Federal government needs to ban the importation of foreign movies so that Nollywood can grow.
In his opinion the actor cum politician believes that the importation of foreign content into the country is limiting the growth of the local content.
Watch the Video:
"Government has to ban the importation of foreign movies so that Nollywood can grow. Make it difficult for foreign content to come in, so your local content can grow" – Desmond Elliot.pic.twitter.com/qZrfYYAU0P
— #BBNaija Laila Ijeoma (@LailaIjeoma) July 22, 2019
Nigerians, however, believe his proposal does not have strong reasoning behind it as the stakeholders in the Nigerian movie industry could as well step-up their games to compete with the foreign contents.
“He lost me at “ban all foreign content”.. Coca-Cola does not need to compete with pepsi, there’s enough sun for everyone.. Work on your brand and grow and support it” a social media user wrote
In his own reaction, a man identified as Bishi stated that it won’t be fair banning foreign content in the country and sought to know what will happen to Nigerian contents internationally if same ban is meted on them.
“If they ban Nigerian Contents in other countries too how will Nollywood Grow internationally” he asked
While reacting to Desmond Elliot, Mr. Henry mentioned that there is no local content in Nigeria as the contents pass the wrong messages to the audience
“Which stuipid local content , the local content that made everyone thinking there is a relationship between blood and money all they do in Nigeria movie is rituals na dem cause this problem wey we get today.” he posted