- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
UI imposes partial curfew over invasion of hostels
Sequel to incidences of robbery recorded in her halls of residence, authorities at the University of Ibadan on Tuesday imposed partial curfew on the campus.
The partial curfew, which takes effect from Wednesday, is between 12midnight and 5am.
This decision was taken at a meeting of the University Security Committee, which reviewed the current security situation on the University of Ibadan.
A statement by the Vice Chancellor Professor Idowu Olayinka said all students and members of staff must have means of identification when asked by security operatives.
According to the Vice Chancellor, all male visitors to the three female hostels (Awolowo Hall, Queen Idia Hall and Elizabetb hall) are to be received outside the halls while female guests will be screened.
Olayinka added that any male visitors seen loitering around female halls beyond 8:30pm will be taken as a suspect.
Two female hostels at the university had been invaded by thieves who robbed and injured male and female students in the process.
“A major decision of the Committee is to enforce a Partial Curfew from 12 midnight till 5 am as from tomorrow, Wednesday 14th August 2019. All students and members of staff should be able to produce a means of identification if and when accosted by security staff.
“This partial restriction of movement will be in place until further notice.
“Kindly ensure strict compliance, please, as part of efforts of ensuring the safety of all members of the community. In view of recent security situation on the campus male visitors are henceforth prohibited from entering the above listed Female Halls of Residence.
“The residents of the aforementioned Halls can only receive their male visitors outside the hall.
“Female visitors should be screened at the Porters’ Lodge. Moreover, all male visitors are expected to leave the precincts of the female halls by 8:30 pm. Anyone found loitering will be regarded as a suspect.”