- BREAKING: Buhari receives Lyon in Aso Rock
- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
Court remands dismissed soldier who allegedly raped university student
An Akure Chief Magistrates’ Court on Friday ordered that a 33-year-old dismissed soldier, Sunday Awolola, who allegedly raped a student of the Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko (AAUA), be remanded in prison, pending legal advice.
Withinnigeria had reported that the suspect, Lance Corporal Sunday Awolola who allegedly raped a 300-level student of Adekunle Ajasin University Akungba Akoko, AAUA, in Ondo State had been arraigned at the Magistrate Court sitting in Akure, the Ondo state capital.
According to the News Agency of Nigeria(NAN) Magistrate Mayomi Olanipekun, who did not take the plea of Awolola, ordered that he be remanded in Olokuta prison custody, pending the legal advice from the Ogun Director of Public Prosecution (DPP).
Olanipekun ordered the police to send the case file to the State Chief Registrar for safe keeping.
He, therefore, adjourned the case until Nov. 15, for legal advice.
Earlier, the police prosecutor, Insp. Adeoye Adesegun, told the court that the suspect raped the student on July 31, at about 6. 30pm in Ikare – Akoko at a military checkpoint.
Adesegun alleged that the offence, contravened the provisions of Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the Criminal Code Cap37,Vol.1 Laws of the Ondo State of Nigeria, 2006.
However, the accused counsel, Mr Kayode Ikotun, prayed the court to grant his client bail due to health challenge.