- BREAKING: Kogi Deputy Gov Achuba impeached
- BREAKING: Gunshots in Abuja as police disperse protesting Shi’ites
- BREAKING: Again, fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha
- BREAKING: We’ll only register candidate with NIN for 2020 UTME – JAMB
- BREAKING: Fuel tanker explodes in Onitsha [VIDEO]
- BREAKING: Police raid another torture centre in Katsina
- BREAKING: Labour, Reps meeting failed to hold, as NLC seeks new date
- BREAKING: EFCC re-arraigns Atiku’s lawyer over $2m money laundering
- 18 days after kaduna house of horror, chained children found at religious centre in Daura
- BREAKING: Moghalu resigns from YPP, canvasses for electoral reform
VIDEO: Rivers police arrest suspect who tried to strangle his victim at Port Harcourt hotel
Rivers State Police Command have arrested a suspected member of the gang involved in the killing of young girls in Rivers state after attempting to strangle a young girl at a hostel in Mile 4 Area of Port Harcourt.
According to Punch reports, the arrested suspect reportedly struck around 2am when the young lady was sleeping before she raised an alarm. The man reportedly got violent when she started shouting, leading to a struggle as she tried opening the door.
“The woman went into the hotel on the man’s invitation and when she slept off, the man tried to killed her with a pillow. She was lucky to have woken up as the man tried to pin her down.
“The woman immediately shouted for help and the people in the hotel called the police, who raced to the scene and forced the door open. The police eventually rescued the woman and arrested the man” a source said.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Mustapha Dandaura who confirmed the arrest said the police are already investigating the incident. Rivers state Police spokesperson, Mr Nnamdi Omoni said the arrested suspect has been moved to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence Department as preliminary investigation revealed he is an indigene of Akwa Ibom state.
He said, “The young woman escaped, because she was able to raise the alarm around 2am. She was sleeping and suddenly woke up to see the man, who brought her to the hotel, charging at her.
“The man tried to strangle her and he was arrested by our men. He is from Akwa Ibom and is a builder. He told us that he was a school dropout. The people in the hotel called the police, who rushed to the place, rescued the young woman and arrested the man.”