- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Everton manager Marco Silva sacked
- BREAKING: DSS Finally Releases Sowore After 4 Months In Detention
- BREAKING: Senate passes 2020 Appropriation Bill, raises budget to N10.594trn
- BREAKING: Court orders DSS to transfer El-Zakzaky, wife to Kaduna Correctional Centre
We fled from Nigeria to evade circumcision of our daughter — Couple facing deportation in Canada
The Canadian government is set to deport a Nigerian family five who claimed they fled to the country out of fear that their daughter would be subjected to female genital mutilation.
CBC.Ca reports that Rasheedat Bakare, her husband Afeez, son Faaiq and daughter Faiqah all fled Nigeria and arrived in Canada in 2017. The family’s youngest daughter, Farhana, was born in Canada in 2018.
However, they were denied refugee status on Thursday and were told to leave the country by 3 p.m. on Friday. Speaking to CBC, the wife said:
“My children’s life, my husband’s life is at risk. We ran away because they wanted to circumcise my baby girl — the one I brought from Nigeria. When I got to Canada, I had another baby girl. Currently, I’m pregnant with another baby girl. Now I’ll have three baby girls and all of their lives are going to be at risk.”
On Friday afternoon, after Rasheedat — who is approximately five months pregnant — collapsed and was rushed to hospital, the government issued a temporary delay on the deportation order.
Afeez Bakare said he’s not sure when he and his family will be required to leave. He said:
“I don’t want my life and my family to be in danger. My wife is in a state where she is restless, she cannot do anything.”