Kaduna: Bandits kill task force commander, resident, abduct 16
A joint task force commander and another have been killed by bandits, who invaded Sabon Gero community, New Millennium City Settlement, in the Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State.
The bandits were said to have also kidnapped 16 other members of the community, including a medical doctor on Tuesday.
According to PUNCH, a source said the bandits stormed the community around 10pm on motorcycles, shooting indiscriminately at anybody at sight before taking away the abductees.
The source also said the late JTF commander opened fire on sighting the bandits “not knowing that the bandits had closed in on his team.”
“The bandits opened fire and hit the commander in his legs and he fell. They then shot him in the head, shattering his skull. A resident, who was hit by bullets, died on his way to a hospital,” the source added.
A JTF member, Isa Usman, said the remains of the commander had been buried in accordance with Islamic rites.
Meanwhile, a resident, Jacob Isa, told journalists that the situation would have been worse but for the quick intervention of neighbouring communities, who mobilised and chased away the bandits.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, Mohammed Jalige, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, could not be reached for comments on the incident as of press time.