- Ballot snatching, shooting ruining ongoing Rivers bye-election
- Abuja building collapse: 2 killed, 18 trapped, six rescued
- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
Killer squad leader, Don Waney’s CSO, Agulegbu, killed in Delta
A notorious cultist and kidnap linchpin, Augustine Agulegbu, was on Wednesday shot dead by security operatives in Delta State.
Agulegbu was an integral part of Don Waney’s killer squad known as ‘The Red Squad’ and was the second-in-command to Emenike, the leader of the squad.
The security operatives, who were mainly personnel of the Department of State Services, had trailed Agulegbu, also known as Nana, to one of his hideouts located along the New Sapele Road, Obiaruko in Ukwani LGA of Delta State, before he was shot.
It was gathered that the deceased was until his death the sixth-in-command to the slain Don Waney.
A security source told newsmen that the main leader of the Don Waney’s killer squad (Emenike) had since been declared wanted by the Rivers State Security Council.
It was also gathered that Emenike was one of those granted amnesty by the Imo State Government.
The Chairman of ONELGA, Mr. Osi Olisa, confirmed the killing of Agulegbu, disclosing that the deceased’s corpse was displayed at the local government secretariat in Omoku.
Olisa expressed gratitude to Governor Nyesom Wike, the 6 Division of the Nigerian Army and the DSS for their commitment towards ensuring that peace returned to the area.
He said, “The once-bewildered people of ONELGA are beginning to lead a normal live once again. The return of peace may not have been possible without the commitment of our peace-loving Governor, Chief Nyesom Wike.
“We also appreciate all the security agencies, especially the Department of State Services and the 6 Division of the Nigerian Army, for the killing of Don Waney’s CSO, Augustine Agulegbu, a.k.a. Nana.
“The crackdown on the chief security officer of the late Omoku gang leader, Johnson Igwedibia, a.k.a. Don Waney, is part of the ongoing efforts to cleanse ONELGA of all social vices.
“As a local government council, we shall continue to offer our best support to the Government of Rivers State and all the security agencies to make ONELGA safe for everyone.”
Also, the State Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Nnamdi Omoni, confirmed the killing of Agulegbu, adding that the hoodlum was shot dead during a sting operation.
Omoni added that the operation that led to Agulegbu’s death was carried out by the DSS operatives in a community in Delta State.
Omoni said Agulegbu was the sixth-in-command in Don Waney’s gang, stating that security operatives would continue to comb the forest in search of criminals in the state.