- Gunmen kill 10, kidnapped 3 women in Zamfara
- Rev. Fr. Mbaka escapes death in a failed assassination attempts, Adoration ministry cries out
- Reps cancel Ajaokuta Steel privatisation, asks FG to revive it with recovered Abacha loot
- NASS approve June 12 as Democracy Day
- 2019: Obasanjo, Atiku in closed door meeting, plans on how to wrestle power from Buhari
- ASUU strkie continues as meeting with FG ends inconclusive
- Former US president George Bush is dead
- OPC founder, Frederick Fasehun is dead
- Full list of those affected as FG freezes bank accounts of suspects on Nigeria Looters list
- Tension rocks Akwa Ibom as sacked lawmakers again shut down Assembly complex, move to impeach Speaker
Igbo will be major beneficiaries of Buhari’s second term — VON DG, Osita Okechukwu
Director General of Voice of Nigeria, Mr. Osita Okechukwu, has said Nd’Igbo would be the major beneficiaries of President Muhammadu Buhari’s second term in office.
Apex socio-political body of the Igbo, Ohanaeze Nd’Igbo, had, in a recent statement, said it was only interested in restructuring, and has not taken any decision on the 2019 elections.
Speaking in Enugu on Sunday, Okechukwu, a member of the ruling All Progressives Congress, advised Igbo to back Buhari for a second term, as, according to him, restructuring was already on the agenda of the Buhari-led Federal Government.
The VON boss added that Igbo should support Buhari’s second term bid in order to have a chance of producing his (Buhari’s) successor in 2023.
Although the President is yet to declare his intention to go for another term, Okechukwu expressed certainty that Buhari would seek re-election.
Apparently reacting to Ohanaeze’s declaration that it was only concerned with restructuring, and was not thinking of the 2019 polls, Okechukwu said, “Restructuring is not a one-day event, but the golden opportunity of Buhari being the only Northerner, going by the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, and the zoning convention, with only four years that ends in 2023, is a matter of fact.
“Voting for any other Northerner means postponement of the golden opportunity which Mr. President’s re-election offers Nd’Igbo.”