- Buhari calls late Hauwa Liman’s father
- Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate for 2019 Presidential Election
- Lagos APC shun NWC, declares Sanwo-Olu winner of governorship primary
- NWC cancels Lagos APC primaries, Sanwo-olu reportedly defeats Ambode
- Lagos APC Primaries: Buhari summons Tinubu, Ambode today
- Two Nigerian Air Force jets crash while rehearsing for Independence celebrations, 1 Pilot confirmed dead
- Osun State Election Result: Adeleke, PDP disappointed as errors emerge in Ayedaade, Osogbo poll results
- National Carrier Project: Nigeria Air has been suspended indefinitely
- Exam Malpractice: Senator Adeleke declared wanted by Police
- Bauchi Commissioner, Mahmood Abubakar is dead
Alleged N5.7bn fraud: I’m Ready To Prove My Innocence says Ex Governor Shema
As the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) prepares to arraign former Governor Ibrahim Shehu Shema of Katsina state in a high court in the state tomorrow, the former governor has said that he is ready to prove his innoccence.
According to him, he is not afraid of a just, transparent and fair trial.
The EFCC is set to arraign the former governor over alleged N5.7billion Subsidy Re-Investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE – P) fund before a high court in the state.
In a press statement made available to journalists in Abuja through
Head, Media Team of former Governor Shema, the former governor accused his successor in office, Governor Aminu Bello Masari of masterminding and sponsoring his trial.
He accused the state government of persecuting perceived political opponents.
Olawale said in the statement, “Our position remains the same since Governor Aminu Bello Masari started his persecution, intimidation and harassment of former Governor Ibrahim Shehu Shema, by setting up over 30 different Committees to probe Shema administration and granted over 200 media interviews to call him a thief and continue to sponsors media trial against him.
“He also set up Commission of Inquiry, sponsor petitions to EFCC and ICPC, using Katsina State Attorney General Fiat to take Shema before Justice Maikaita Bako of Katsina State High Court while at the same time obtaining Fiat from the Attorney General of the Federation, curiously to take over Corruption case from ICPC before the same Justice Maikaita Bako to satisfy the interest of Governor Masari and his Co travellers”.
He said the state government is already pressurizing EFCC to take Shema before Justice Gabriel Kolawole of Federal High Court, Abuja on allegations that are being adjudicated before another Court and now taking him before Justice Babagana Ahmed of Federal High Court Katsina on the same issues and allegations.
“Former Governor Ibrahim Shehu Shema stands by his position that he is ready to defend himself in fair and just trial and therefore urging Nigerians and International Communities to read between the lines what is the motive of Governor Aminu Bello Masari who is behind trial of Shema for this desperation.
“And with the fresh suit before Justice Babagana Ahmed of Federal High Court Katsina, we urge Nigerians and International Communities to monitor closely the planned arraignment of Shema on the slated date to understand the motive and agenda of the fresh suit.
“We insist that Former Governor Ibrahim Shehu Shema is innocent and demands for transparent, fair and just trail based on the rule of law with the absolute belief that the God we worship is a just God who abhors injustice”, he said.