- Ballot snatching, shooting ruining ongoing Rivers bye-election
- Abuja building collapse: 2 killed, 18 trapped, six rescued
- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
2018 World Cup: Kanu praise Brian Idowu for choosing Nigeria over Russia
Former Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has expressed delight that Amkar Perm defender, Brian Idowu, chose to represent Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup, over his country of birth, Russia.
Idowu, who has been included in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad list for this month tournament in Russia, was born in St. Petersburg to a Nigerian father, and his mother is half Russian, half Nigerian.
”We are pleased that Brian has chosen Nigeria’s national team, the fans really appreciate him,’’ Kanu told Russian news agency, TASS.
”He perfectly suits the national team’s playing style. Brian will be able to diversify the team, as he was brought up in another football system, it will only benefit the national team.”
Kanu added, ”He knows everything about Russia, and this will help the team before the World Cup in Russia.
”Every little thing is important, but we will have a player who knows the country, speaks Russian. He will play at home and help others feel at home.”
Idowu has scored one goal in his four appearances for the national team.