- Baba Sala’s friend, colleague, Ajimajasan dies few days apart
- Buhari calls late Hauwa Liman’s father
- Atiku picks Peter Obi as running mate for 2019 Presidential Election
- Lagos APC shun NWC, declares Sanwo-Olu winner of governorship primary
- NWC cancels Lagos APC primaries, Sanwo-olu reportedly defeats Ambode
- Lagos APC Primaries: Buhari summons Tinubu, Ambode today
- Two Nigerian Air Force jets crash while rehearsing for Independence celebrations, 1 Pilot confirmed dead
- Osun State Election Result: Adeleke, PDP disappointed as errors emerge in Ayedaade, Osogbo poll results
- National Carrier Project: Nigeria Air has been suspended indefinitely
- Exam Malpractice: Senator Adeleke declared wanted by Police
2018 World Cup: Kanu praise Brian Idowu for choosing Nigeria over Russia
Former Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has expressed delight that Amkar Perm defender, Brian Idowu, chose to represent Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup, over his country of birth, Russia.
Idowu, who has been included in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad list for this month tournament in Russia, was born in St. Petersburg to a Nigerian father, and his mother is half Russian, half Nigerian.
”We are pleased that Brian has chosen Nigeria’s national team, the fans really appreciate him,’’ Kanu told Russian news agency, TASS.
”He perfectly suits the national team’s playing style. Brian will be able to diversify the team, as he was brought up in another football system, it will only benefit the national team.”
Kanu added, ”He knows everything about Russia, and this will help the team before the World Cup in Russia.
”Every little thing is important, but we will have a player who knows the country, speaks Russian. He will play at home and help others feel at home.”
Idowu has scored one goal in his four appearances for the national team.