- BREAKING: Court restrains AGF, ICPC from seizing ex-Gov, Yari’s properties
- JUST IN: Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu Stoned By Angry Igbo Men in Nuremberg Germany (Video)
- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
- BREAKING: Alleged money laundering: EFCC arraigns Atiku’s son-in-law, lawyer
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife not safe in Indian hospital, says IMN
- Breaking: Soldier finally arraigned for allegedly raping Ondo undergraduate
2018 World Cup: Kanu praise Brian Idowu for choosing Nigeria over Russia
Former Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has expressed delight that Amkar Perm defender, Brian Idowu, chose to represent Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup, over his country of birth, Russia.
Idowu, who has been included in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad list for this month tournament in Russia, was born in St. Petersburg to a Nigerian father, and his mother is half Russian, half Nigerian.
”We are pleased that Brian has chosen Nigeria’s national team, the fans really appreciate him,’’ Kanu told Russian news agency, TASS.
”He perfectly suits the national team’s playing style. Brian will be able to diversify the team, as he was brought up in another football system, it will only benefit the national team.”
Kanu added, ”He knows everything about Russia, and this will help the team before the World Cup in Russia.
”Every little thing is important, but we will have a player who knows the country, speaks Russian. He will play at home and help others feel at home.”
Idowu has scored one goal in his four appearances for the national team.