- 2019: Makarfi declares interest in presidency under PDP
- Offa Robbery: Another wanted suspect arrested
- Osinbajo escape death as chopper make emergency landing in Abuja
- Kogi director Haruna David slumps, dies in office
- One feared dead, former Reps member, Opeyemi Bamidele shot at Ado-Ekiti APC secretariat during reception for Kayode Fayemi
- Breaking: IPOB disowns sit-at-home order, tells Ndigbo to ignore Chika Edoziem group
- Manager of Dangote Cement plant, Deep Kamra, shot dead
- Dasuki granted fresh bail
- Senate finally passes 2018 budget
- PDP Chieftain, Bode George loses son to undisclosed ailment
2018 World Cup: Kanu praise Brian Idowu for choosing Nigeria over Russia
Former Super Eagles captain, Nwankwo Kanu has expressed delight that Amkar Perm defender, Brian Idowu, chose to represent Nigeria at the 2018 World Cup, over his country of birth, Russia.
Idowu, who has been included in Gernot Rohr’s 23-man squad list for this month tournament in Russia, was born in St. Petersburg to a Nigerian father, and his mother is half Russian, half Nigerian.
”We are pleased that Brian has chosen Nigeria’s national team, the fans really appreciate him,’’ Kanu told Russian news agency, TASS.
”He perfectly suits the national team’s playing style. Brian will be able to diversify the team, as he was brought up in another football system, it will only benefit the national team.”
Kanu added, ”He knows everything about Russia, and this will help the team before the World Cup in Russia.
”Every little thing is important, but we will have a player who knows the country, speaks Russian. He will play at home and help others feel at home.”
Idowu has scored one goal in his four appearances for the national team.