- Breaking: Jigawa Speaker Hon. Idris Garba, Chief Whip and Majority Leader impeached at the same time
- BREAKING: VC of Kwara State University sacked with immediate effect
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force Pilot, Air Commodore Udenyi killed in Lagos while awaiting promotion to Air Vice Marshall
- Breaking: Taraba State permanent secretary, Susana Jonathan kidnapped by gunmen
- BREAKING: Former Head of State, Yakubu Gowon slumps in Delta State during ‘military salute’ at a graveside
- Breaking: Kano State Government sacks all permanent secretaries
- Breaking: UBEC chairman, daughter regain Freedom
- BREAKING: UBEC chairman, daughter kidnapped along Kaduna-Abuja expressway, Driver shot dead
- BREAKING: Explosion rocks Ondo, 5 oil wells on fire
- Buhari extends appointment of acting CJN, Muhammad
The Truth: Jaywon opens up on SARS invasion during birthday party
Singer, Iledare Oluwajuwonlo, aka Jaywon, has finally spoken about the reason SARS operatives disrupted his birthday celebration in Lekki, Lagos.
While speaking with Sunday Scoop, Jaywon insisted that they didn’t come for him as reported on social media. He said, “It was a media friend that had issues with them. After identifying himself, they still wanted to take him away. I was upstairs when my attention was called to the incident and I quickly came down.”
The singer further stated that he didn’t want them to take the victim away because he was afraid it could turn to a different story once they left the venue. He said, “You know police will want to harass and threaten you with their guns. We all came together and made sure they didn’t leave the place with the guy. I actually don’t know what the journalist did to them but it created a lot of noise and drama.”
He said it came as a rude shock when he woke up and saw the headline on blogs, ‘SARS officers invade Jaywon’s birthday party’.
“I had the party in a private house and I had promised them we would not make any noise. I was not happy with the way things ended because it was supposed to be a quiet party. I visited two motherless babies’ homes that same day and I wanted my birthday to be about that.”
He, however, said it was obvious that the SARS officers wanted money but he was not ready to pay them. “I still tweeted about the operation of SARS some days ago. Arresting people has become a business venture right now. They know that once they arrest you, you will give them money. It is getting frustrating and no one is doing anything about it.
“It is so bad on Lagos Island now, Lekki precisely. We were much; so, there was no way the four of them could attack us. We cannot be giving them money every time. If people keep giving them money, they will never stop harassing people. It was obvious that they wanted money, but I was not ready to give anyone money,” he said.