- Breaking: Former Egyptian president Mohammed Morsi dies in court
- Breaking: AA suspends Okorocha‘s in-law
- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
- Osun Guber: What court decided on Senator Ademola Adeleke’s Appeal On Monday
- Breaking: Ondo youths shut down Gov. Akeredolu’s office
- Breaking: INEC receives applications for three new parties
- Breaking: Appeal Court strikes out suit challenging Ihedioha’s emergence as PDP guber candidate
- JUST IN: Five rescued from Kano collapsed building
- JUST IN: ASUU suspends strike in Taraba University
- JUST IN: Another Building Collapses In Lagos As Three escape Death
Croatia’s striker Kalinic rejects World Cup medal after being sent home
The Milan striker refused to come on as a substitute in Croatia’s 2-0 win over Nigeria, citing fitness issues, but was then kicked out of the squad by head coach Zlatko Dalic.
Kalinic had also missed out on the pre-tournament warm-up game with Brazil and was forced to sit out training due to back spasms. Dalic decided to send him home following the Nigeria victory, claiming that he needed players who were “fit and ready to play.”
Despite not playing even a minute of football at the World Cup, Kalinic’s international team-mates and coaching staff decided to award Kalinic with a silver medal following the World Cup final defeat to France.
However, the 30-year-old believes he is not entitled to share in the country’s achievement, turning down the offer from his team-mates.
“Thanks for the medals, but I did not play in Russia,” Kalinic told Sportske Novosti.