- Dankwambo in closed-door meeting with Obasanjo
- Gov Obiano’s aide, Randie Chima found dead in his room
- Armed robbers kill 12 while raiding two banks In Edo State
- DSS DG, Lawal Daura arrested, detained after Osinbajo sacked him
- Nigerian Army arrest Maje Lawan, one of the most wanted Boko Haram terrorists
- Nine Youth Corps members drown after taking party to River Mayo-Selbe in Taraba State
- Plateau lawmaker, Yusuf Gagdi, involved in ghastly accident, Airforce personnel hospitalised
- PDP files petition against Fayemi’s victory in Ekiti
- I’ve been pushed out — Senate President, Saraki, says as he dumps APC for PDP
- Fire guts Gov Aregbesola’s office 30 days to Osun Election
Ex-PDP chairman Sokoto Chapter, Shehu Tambuwal defects to APC with 10,000 supporters
A former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, chairman in Sokoto State, Abubakar Shehu Tambuwal, has led about 10,000 supporters to decamp to the All Progressives Congress in Tambuwal Local Government Area of the state.
Abubakar Shehu Tambuwal, while addressing a crowd of supporters on Sunday, said his him and his10,000 supporters made the decision freely based on their concern to participate in politics that would facilitate good development.
He said they were convinced to join the party because of the viable policies and projects of the APC-led government, stressing that leadership and democracy should be about enhancing infrastructure and ensuring development for the people.
Shehu-Tambuwal is also a former Commissioner for Education in the state.
Chairman of APC chapter in Tambuwal Local Government Area, Umar Maitafsir, said no fewer than 10,000 people from Yabo, Kebbi, Tureta, Dange/Shuni, Bodinga and Shagari local government areas had also decamped from the PDP to the APC.
Maitafsir described the decamping as “a landmark in the political history of Sokoto South senatorial district,” attributing the move to Shehu-Tambuwal’s credibility and political contribution in the zone as well as in the state.
Speaking while presenting the APC membership card to each of the new members, the chairman of the state chapter of the APC, Sadiq Achida, assured the defectors of a level-playing ground.
Achida said President Muhammadu Buhari’s APC-led government would continue to address the challenges being faced by Nigerians through various projects and policies and urged the people to support the party to succeed at all levels.