- Gunmen kill 10, kidnapped 3 women in Zamfara
- Rev. Fr. Mbaka escapes death in a failed assassination attempts, Adoration ministry cries out
- Reps cancel Ajaokuta Steel privatisation, asks FG to revive it with recovered Abacha loot
- NASS approve June 12 as Democracy Day
- 2019: Obasanjo, Atiku in closed door meeting, plans on how to wrestle power from Buhari
- ASUU strkie continues as meeting with FG ends inconclusive
- Former US president George Bush is dead
- OPC founder, Frederick Fasehun is dead
- Full list of those affected as FG freezes bank accounts of suspects on Nigeria Looters list
- Tension rocks Akwa Ibom as sacked lawmakers again shut down Assembly complex, move to impeach Speaker
Ex-PDP chairman Sokoto Chapter, Shehu Tambuwal defects to APC with 10,000 supporters
A former Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, chairman in Sokoto State, Abubakar Shehu Tambuwal, has led about 10,000 supporters to decamp to the All Progressives Congress in Tambuwal Local Government Area of the state.
Abubakar Shehu Tambuwal, while addressing a crowd of supporters on Sunday, said his him and his10,000 supporters made the decision freely based on their concern to participate in politics that would facilitate good development.
He said they were convinced to join the party because of the viable policies and projects of the APC-led government, stressing that leadership and democracy should be about enhancing infrastructure and ensuring development for the people.
Shehu-Tambuwal is also a former Commissioner for Education in the state.
Chairman of APC chapter in Tambuwal Local Government Area, Umar Maitafsir, said no fewer than 10,000 people from Yabo, Kebbi, Tureta, Dange/Shuni, Bodinga and Shagari local government areas had also decamped from the PDP to the APC.
Maitafsir described the decamping as “a landmark in the political history of Sokoto South senatorial district,” attributing the move to Shehu-Tambuwal’s credibility and political contribution in the zone as well as in the state.
Speaking while presenting the APC membership card to each of the new members, the chairman of the state chapter of the APC, Sadiq Achida, assured the defectors of a level-playing ground.
Achida said President Muhammadu Buhari’s APC-led government would continue to address the challenges being faced by Nigerians through various projects and policies and urged the people to support the party to succeed at all levels.