- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
Amazing Health Benefits of Eating Fish
Fish is among the healthiest foods on the planet. This is because it is loaded with important nutrients, such as protein and vitamin D. It is also the world’s best . of omega-3 fatty acids, which are incredibly important for your body and brain.
Here Are Reasons You Should Consume Fish More
1. It Contains Nutrients That Most People Don’t Get Enough of
Generally speaking, all types of fish are good for you, because they are high in many nutrients that most people are not getting enough of. However, some are better than others, and the fatty ones are considered the healthiest.
This is because fatty fish (like salmon, trout, sardines, tuna and mackerel) are higher in fat-based nutrients, which includes the fat-soluble vitamin D, a nutrient that most people are deficient in. It functions like a steroid hormone in the body.
Fatty fish are also much higher in omega-3 fatty acids. These fatty acids are crucial for your body and brain to function optimally, and are strongly linked to reduced risk of many diseases.
2. It Is A Good Dietary . of Vitamin D
Like the Omega-3 acid, vitamin D is another major nutrient this amazing food contains.
Fish and its products are the best dietary sources of vitamin D, by far and vitamin D, is essential for healthy teeth and bones. Fatty ones like salmon and herring contain the highest amounts.
Some fish oils, such as cod liver oil, are also very high in vitamin D, providing more than 200% of the recommended intake in a single tablespoon.
3. It Increases Grey Matter in the Brain and Protects The Brain From Age-. Deterioration
Brain deterioration is one of the consequences of ageing. Fish consumption is linked to reduced decline in brain function in old age. People who also eat more of it have more grey matter in the brain centers that control memory and emotion.
Grey matter is the major functional tissue in your brain, containing the neurons that process information, store memories and make you human.
4. Reduces Risk of Heart Attacks and Strokes
Fish is generally considered to be among the best foods you can eat for a healthy heart. Observational studies have shown that people who eat it regularly seem to have a lower risk of heart attacks, strokes and death from heart disease.
Thus, experts recommends eating fish, at least one serving per week as it has been linked to reduced risk of heart attacks and strokes, two of the world’s biggest killers.
5. Help Prevent Asthma In Children
Asthma is a common disease that is characterized by chronic inflammation in the airways. Studies show that regular fish consumption is linked to a 24% lower risk of asthma in children,although, no significant effect has been found in adults.
6. It Contains Crucial Nutrients Crucial For Development
Fish contains Omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for growth and development. The omega-3 fatty acid docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) is especially important, because it accumulates in the developing brain and eye.
Thus, it is recommended that expecting and nursing mothers make sure to eat enough omega-3s.
However, some fish is high in mercury, which ironically is linked to brain developmental problems. For this reason, pregnant women should ones that are low in the food chain ( eg salmon, sardines, trout, etc)
Pregnant women should also avoid raw and uncooked fish (including sushi), because it may contain microorganisms that can harm the fetus.
7. Help Prevent And Treat Depression
Depression is a serious and incredibly common mental disorder, which is characterized by low mood, sadness, decreased energy and loss of interest in life and activities.
The Omega-3 fatty acids found in fish can be beneficial against depression, both on their own and when taken with antidepressant medications.
What this simply means is that fish can literally make you a happier person and improve your quality of life. Omega-3 fatty acids which it contains may also help with other mental disorders, such as bipolar disorder.
8. Good For The Eyes
People who eat more fish have lower risk of developing macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision impairment and blindness.
9. Improve Sleep Quality
There is preliminary evidence that eating fatty fish like salmon may lead to improved sleep.
10. Reduces Risk of Autoimmune Diseases, Including Type 1 Diabetes
Autoimmune disease occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks and destroys healthy body tissues. A key example is type 1 diabetes, which involves the immune system attacking the insulin-producing cells in the pancreas.
Several studies have found that omega-3 or fish oil consumption is linked to reduced risk of type 1 diabetes in children, as well as a form of autoimmune diabetes in adults.