- BREAKING: Over 10 people rescued in another ‘rehabilitation’ center in Kaduna
- BREAKING: ICPC declares Obono-Obla wanted
- BREAKING: Another attacks on Nigerians in South Africa
- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of 23 properties linked to Maina
- BREAKING: Court orders forfeiture of Saraki’s houses in Ikoyi
- BREAKING: Court Partially Varies Sowore, Bakare’s Bail Conditions, adjourns Case
- Three days after impeachment saga, Edward Onoja sworn-in as Kogi Deputy Governor
- BREAKING: Two critically injured as container falls in Onitsha
- BREAKING: Kogi Assembly confirms Onoja as Yahaya Bello’s deputy
- JUST IN: Seven killed in Gov Obaseki’s convoy accident
Banky W’s Prolific Careers, Scandals And Personal Life
Banky W moved to Nigeria in 2008 with the aim of promoting African music to the world
Banky W is dubbed the ‘King of African R&B’, a versatile singer, producer, actor and politician.
Olubankole Wellington, widely called ‘Banky W’ was born on March 27, 1981 in New York City, United States of America. His father, George Bankole Wellington, hails from Badagry, Lagos and his mother, Mrs Wellington (also called Mommy W) from Calabar, Cross River State.
Banky W has four siblings – three brothers and a sister. His sister, DeeDee George, is the co-founder of The Urban Marketplace (TUM) Showcases and Events. Funmi Wellington, his brother works at KPMG, where he works as an Advisory Associate, but he also hosts events and works as a DJ. Another of his brother, Kema Wellington, works as a Trader/Investor at Kema Investments. The youngest brother Temi Wellington is an Account Manager at a company called Atradius. He also dabbles in music under the nickname DJ Aux Cord (not to confuse with another DJ with a similar name).
In the early years of Banky W’s life, they all lived in the US, but they moved back to Nigeria, when he turned five years old.
Banky W attended Corona Primary School, Home Science Association Secondary School and Ajao Secondary School all in Lagos.
He returned to the US for college and studied Industrial Engineering at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, RPI, in New York. When he was a junior year in RPI, he started writing, producing and hitting the studios. Later, he attended New York Film academy for a short course in Directing/Filmmaking and another course in Screenwriting.
Banky W began his singing career at age 8, he won the Albany Idol competition which brought him to the fore in his music career. He went on to establish the Empire Mates Entertainment (E.M.E.) in order to project his music more.
In 2013, he dropped his debut album, Undeniable, it was sold on the internet and from the trunk of cars. The success of his marketing strategy got Fox 23 News New York to cover him and this got him a distribution deal with Trans World; one of North America’s largest music distributors.
The song later became one of the top selling independent record, which won Banky the 2003 R&B/Soul Artiste of the Year at the Urban Independent Music Awards. Some of his other albums include; Back in the Building (2005), Mr. Capable (2008), The W Experience (2009) and R&BW (2013).
Banky W moved to Nigeria in 2008 with the aim of promoting African music to the world and dominating the Nigerian airwaves with mind blowing songs. He has since gone on to release several beautiful songs till date. He is a Philanthropist, he founded the “I am Capable” Scholarship fund which provides tuition, room, and board for indigent undergraduates who met the foundation’s requirement. He is also in the fore front of the Light up Nigeria project aimed at achieving steady electricity power supply in Nigeria.
Banky W announced in February 2018 that E.M.E was dissolved as a record label; he said the label is now a talent management company focused on creative marketing, advertising, PR and brand events. Banky W named DJ Xclusive, Ebuka Obi-Uchendu, Tolu ‘Toolz’ Oniru, and his wife Adesua Etomi as the first set of clients of the rebranded company.
Banky W has featured in several movies such as; The Wedding Party (2016) and The Wedding Party 2 (2017)
Banky W made a bold political statement at the 2019 General Elections in Nigeria. On November 11, 2018, Banky W declared his intention to run for the Lagos’ Eti-Osa Federal Constituency seat in Nigeria’s House of Representatives, representing on the platform of Modern Democratic Party, formed in 2017.
- Capable (2008)
- Lagos Party (2009)
- Jaiye Orimi (2013)
- High Notes (2014)
- All I Want Is You Feat. Chidinma (2015)
- Cash Only As featured artiste (2015)
- Made for You (2016)
- Onyeuwaoma As featured artiste (2016)
- Mi Re Do (Cocoloso) 
- Back in the Building (2006)
- Mr. Capable (2008)
- The W Experience (2009)
- R&BW (2013)
- Undeniable (2003)
- Songs About U (2017)
- Gidi Blues
- Jenifa’s Diary
- MTV Shuga: Love, Sex, Money
- The Wedding Party (2016)
- The Wedding Party 2 (2017)
- Up North (2018)
- John Lennon Song Writing Award 2006, R&B Category, for ‘My Regret’
- Best R&B Artiste, Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2006
- Best Male R&B Artiste, Urban Independent Music Awards, USA, 2006
- Best International Album, Nigerian Entertainment Awards 2007 for ‘Mr Capable’
- Best R&B Video, Nigerian Music Video Awards 2008 for ‘Don’t Break My Heart’
- Best Vocal Performance (Male), Hip hop World Awards 2009 for ‘Don’t Break My Heart’
- R&B Single of The Year, 2010 Hip Hop World Awards for ‘Strong Ting’
- Best Dressed Male Artiste, FAB Magazine Awards 2010
- City People Entertainment Awards 2010 – R&B Singer of the Year,
- City People Entertainment Awards 2010 – Music Video of the year for “Strong Ting”
- Soundcity Music Video Awards 2010 – Best Music Video (Male)
- Soundcity Music Video Awards 2010 – Best R&B Singer
- The Future Awards 2011 – Musician of The Year
- Headies Awards 2013 – Best R&B Single
In 2017, Banky W ‘mistakenly’ shared a nude of his wife on social media after their honeymoon. The singer took to his Instagram page to show his fans how much they were having fun, but the video caused a controversy as his wife was seen naked.
The caption on the video read, “My goodness. #Baad2017 The #AfterParty #MySAExperience.” The singer quickly deleted the video after fans started commenting.
Some hours later, the actress uploaded a picture, sending a message to fans that they were not bothered and they were still strong.
The picture Adesua posted, showing herself and her husband in Cape Town reads: “My Husband,” and Banky W went ahead to comment, “My Wife, Ello bae.”
In 2019, a twitter user accused Banky W of converting his EME record company to a PR firm to help Buhari’s cause while responding to Banky’s comment on the suspension the Chief Justice of Nigeria Walter Onnoghen by the president.
Mr. Wellington, come out and support Buhari with your chest. You can’t be doing this non-partisan shit forever.
Your EME Company you converted to PR firm got a contract of N57m through one Abubakar Ahmed to promote Buhari. Why have you not been doing your work? https://t.co/lip4u6zERK
— Shalom Miriam Shehu (@MiriamShehu) January 26, 2019
Responding, Banky W denies knowing Abubakar Ahmed and labels the accusation as False. The singer requested proof of the allegation and hopes to see them in the court. “FALSE. COMPLETELY false and untrue,” the talented musician said.
FALSE. COMPLETELY false and untrue. I've never met this person, and never collected a dime to do anything for this President. I DARE YOU to show proof of the false stories you are peddling. Why would I be running on an independent party in my own constituency if that was my plan?
— Banky Wellington (@BankyW) January 26, 2019
Banky first met his beautiful wife, Adesua Etomi, in 2012. According to the musician, both of them did not give each other too much thought. However, in 2015, Banky W was suddenly struck by a cupid’s arrow, because he understood that Adesua was the woman of his dreams. The musician revealed their engagement in February 2017.
In addition to the movie, The Wedding Party, featuring both of them, their love is also reflected in the song ‘Made for you’. They had their traditional wedding and court wedding in Lagos on November 19th and 20th, 2017 and their white wedding on November 25th in Cape Town, South Africa. Banky’s net worth is estimated at N2.3 billion by Forbes.
- Instagram: @bankywellington
- Twitter: @BankyW
- Facebook: https://web.facebook.com/bankywonline/