- JUST IN: INEC announces automatic employment for Outstanding corps members
- Osun Guber: What court decided on Senator Ademola Adeleke’s Appeal On Monday
- Breaking: Ondo youths shut down Gov. Akeredolu’s office
- Breaking: INEC receives applications for three new parties
- Breaking: Appeal Court strikes out suit challenging Ihedioha’s emergence as PDP guber candidate
- JUST IN: Five rescued from Kano collapsed building
- JUST IN: ASUU suspends strike in Taraba University
- JUST IN: Another Building Collapses In Lagos As Three escape Death
- JUST IN: Two storey building collapses in Warri
- Breaking: Tribunal strikes out petition challenging Faleke’s victory
Another One: 29-year-old student commits suicide in Kebbi
A 29-year student of Waziri Umaru Federal Polytechnic, Birnin-Kebbi, and resident of Badariya area identified as Solomon Benedict, has committed suicide over his financial plight.
It was gathered that Benedict allegedly mixed some substances believed to be insecticide with yoghurt and drank it. His friends were unable to rescue until his condition became worse.
Speaking with newsmen on Tuesday, one of his friends explained that “we noticed he was no longer at ease. He was holding his tummy and we later learnt that he pour some insecticide into his drink. He died before we could stop him.”
It was revealed that the boy died as his friends were rushing him to a nearby hospital for medical treatment.
A female friend of the deceased in Jega town, who also spoke under condition of anonymity stated that “for some time now, he had been telling me he would kill himself if his financial situation did not improve. But I never believed he meant it. I remember whenever he visited me at Jega, he always lamented over his financial predicament and I would give him some money to transport himself back to Birnin Kebbi and thereafter he would tell me he would kill himself one day if his situation failed to improve.
“I was shocked when a friend called me from Sokoto that Solomon had killed himself.”
Kebbi State Police Command Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Nafiu Abubakar, confirmed the incident to newsmen on Tuesday via telephone.
He said: “Yes, we are aware of the incident. The boy was 29 years old. He committed suicide at Badariya area of Birnin Kebbi.”