Food seller electrocuted in Lagos
A food seller, Mrs Florence Imoh, 58, was electrocuted at her shop at Ikotun, a Lagos suburb in Igando/Ikotun Local Council Development Area, early on Monday morning.
It was learnt that Imoh was discovered by neighbours early on Monday morning lying dead in front of her shop located at 12, Shosanya Street, Ijegun road in Ikotun.
Imoh’s neighbour, Mrs Mercy Alomona said she woke up to see the lifeless body of the woman clinging to the metal gates of her shop at around 6:30 a.m.
Alomona said that the neighbours later discovered that Imoh’s death was due to a naked wire that supplied electricity from the electric pole that linked the building.
“Mama Chikodi as Imoh was fondly addressed, was trying to open the iron gate of her shop without noticing the contact and got electrocuted,’’ Alomona explained.
In a telephone interview, the District Police Officer, Isheri/Osun Police Station, SP Rafiu Akinlade, said the police was notified of the incident.
Akinlade said: “we have been informed and I have called Ikeja Electric about the development, and they have switched off the electricity in the area; this is to allow us evacuate Imoh’s body.
Akinlade said the Cross River State-born Imoh’s body had been taken to Isolo General Hospital mortuary.
He said that the incident happened due to lack of insulator protector in the building, and was worsened by the rain.
“If the building had an insulator, the insulator would have absorbed and protected the residents from any danger
“Residents need to be careful and be vigilant, especially during and after rainfall.
“When it rains, it is advisable to avoid touching iron or metal object,’’ the DPO said.