- BREAKING: I got presidential results from website, says Atiku’s witness
- Breaking: Mikel Obi announces retirement from Super Eagles, gives reasons
- BREAKING: Army investigates viral video of soldier assaulting motorist in Lagos
- Breaking: 60 persons escape death as hotel collapses in Ebonyi
- Breaking: Super Eagles defeat Tunisia to clinch Bronze
- BREAKING: Witness faults results of presidential election claimed by Atiku, PDP
- Breaking: Senate confirms Justice Tanko Muhammad as CJN
- Breaking: Tribunal issues subpoena on INEC Chair over Atiku, PDP’s complaints
- Breaking: Yinka Ayefele finally confirms wife’s delivery of triplets in US
- Breaking: Buhari plays video on INEC’s stand on results transmission
AFCON 2019: Gernot Rohr speaks on Obi Mikel, Super Eagles’ first choice goalkeeper
Head coach of the Nigeria, Gernot Rohr, has disclosed that everybody in his team wanted captain, John Obi Mikel back to the squad ahead of the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Egypt.
He also revealed that he is yet to decide between Deportivo de La Coruña’s Francis Uzoho, Kaizer Chiefs’ Daniel Akpeyi and Katsina United’s Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who will be Super Eagles’ first choice goalkeeper at the AFCON.
The German tactician stated this ahead of Nigeria’s friendly against Senegal on Sunday evening.
”We don’t know who the number one goalkeeper is yet, we will decide after the preparations but there are three good goalkeepers and we trust them,” Rohr told the Super Eagles Media team.
”Our strength is the solidarity because if there is somebody with problems, the other one will help him on and off the pitch.
”We have eight new players coming in, bringing fresh mentality inside the group so it is good refreshing atmosphere which can help us in Egypt.”
He added: ”The experience of Obi Mikel – everybody wanted him to come back. He has been well received by the group as if he has always been with us.
”The reintegration of Obi Mikel has been done very well and he showed against Zimbabwe that he’s on the right way to be very fit.”