- BREAKING: FG approves $5.3bn for Ibadan-Kano rail project
- BREAKING: Tribunal uphold Ayade’s victory
- Breaking: Nigerians who fled South Africa over xenophobic attacks arrive in Lagos
- BREAKING: Presidential tribunal upholds Buhari’s election, dismisses PDP petitions in its entirety
- BREAKING: No evidence in INEC electronically transmitted results to server, Court rules
- BREAKING: Immigration hurdles delay arrival of 317 Nigerians from South Africa
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses INEC’s motion against Atiku’s lead counsel
- Breaking: FUOYE suspends Students’ Union, shuts campus
- BREAKING: Shi’ites bow to pressure, hold 30-minute procession
- BREAKING: Tribunal sacks APC Senator, Orji Kalu
AFCON 2019: Gernot Rohr speaks on Obi Mikel, Super Eagles’ first choice goalkeeper
Head coach of the Nigeria, Gernot Rohr, has disclosed that everybody in his team wanted captain, John Obi Mikel back to the squad ahead of the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations, AFCON, in Egypt.
He also revealed that he is yet to decide between Deportivo de La Coruña’s Francis Uzoho, Kaizer Chiefs’ Daniel Akpeyi and Katsina United’s Ikechukwu Ezenwa, who will be Super Eagles’ first choice goalkeeper at the AFCON.
The German tactician stated this ahead of Nigeria’s friendly against Senegal on Sunday evening.
”We don’t know who the number one goalkeeper is yet, we will decide after the preparations but there are three good goalkeepers and we trust them,” Rohr told the Super Eagles Media team.
”Our strength is the solidarity because if there is somebody with problems, the other one will help him on and off the pitch.
”We have eight new players coming in, bringing fresh mentality inside the group so it is good refreshing atmosphere which can help us in Egypt.”
He added: ”The experience of Obi Mikel – everybody wanted him to come back. He has been well received by the group as if he has always been with us.
”The reintegration of Obi Mikel has been done very well and he showed against Zimbabwe that he’s on the right way to be very fit.”