- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
JUST IN: Spanish Star, Fernando Torres announces retirement from football
Former Chelsea and Liverpool striker, Fernando Torres, on Friday announced his retirement from football.
The 35-year-old made the announcement in a tweet through his official Twitter handle.
The former Atletico Madrid star wrote: “I have something very important to announce. After 18 exciting years, the time has come to put an end to my football career.
“Next Sunday, the 23rd at 10:00 AM, local time in Japan, I will have a press conference in Tokyo to explain all the details. See you there.”
Torres, who has been most recently playing for Japanese club, Sagan Tosu, won the 2012 Champions League with Chelsea.
He also contributed greatly to Spain winning Euro 2008 and the 2010 FIFA World Cup.