- BREAKING: Buhari receives Lyon in Aso Rock
- BREAKING: APC floors PDP in Bayelsa guber poll, obtains over 200,000 votes
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Enugu Catholic Priest regains freedom
- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
17 things you should know about the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II
The Emir of Kano is a well respected traditional position among the Hausas and is considered the most respected traditional ruler in the Northern part of the country. And it is currently being ruled by Muhammadu Sanusi II.
lThe current Emir of Kano is the former Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, HRM, Sanusi Lamido Sanusi.
Below are a few things you need to know about the current Emir;
- Muhammadu Sanusi II CON, born Sanusi Lamido Sanusi was born on the 31st of July 1961
- He is the 14th Emir of Kano
- Emir Sanusi was a banker and former governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria
- He was appointed on 3 June 2009 for a five-year term, but was suspended from office by the then President of NigeriaGoodluck Jonathan on 20 February 2014 after he accused the government of a $20 billion fraud in the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC)
- Sanusi is the grandson of Muhammadu Sanusi I, the 11th Fulani Emir of Kano
- Sanusi received two awards from The Banker magazine: Central Bank Governor of the Year (worldwide) and Central Bank Governor of the Year for Africa
- Time magazine listed him on its list of the 100 most influential people of 2011
- In 2013, Sanusi was honoured at the third Global Islamic Finance Awards (GIFA) in Dubai for his advocacy in promoting Islamic banking and finance during his tenure as governor of Nigeria’s central bank.
- Sanusi received his primary education at St. Anne’s Catholic Primary School in Kakuri, Kaduna from 1967 to 1972, where he obtained his First School Leaving Certificate. He then attended King’s College, Lagos, where he graduated in 1977. Sanusi was offered provisional admission to Ahmadu Bello University (ABU) in Zaria, where he obtained a bachelor’s degree in economics in 1981
- In 1985, Sanusi was hired by Icon Limited (a subsidiary of Morgan Guaranty Trust) and Barings Bank. He joined the United Bank for Africa in 1997, working in the bank’s credit and risk-management division, and rose to the position of general manager.
- In September 2005, Sanusi became a board member of the First Bank of Nigeria as an executive director in charge of risk and management control.
- He was appointed Group Managing Director (CEO) in January 2009. At this time, Sanusi was chairman of Kakawa Discount House (where he was a board member of FBN Bank)
- He was the first person from northern Nigeria to be appointed CEO of FBN
- On 1 June 2009, during the presidency of Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, Sanusi was nominated governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria; his appointment was confirmed by the Nigerian Senate on 3 June 2009, during a global financial crisis
- Sanusi obtained a degree in Sharia and Islamic Studies from the African International University in Khartoum, Sudan in1997
- Lamido Sanusi net worth may be estimated to be $80 million.
- The Emir is married to Hajia Sadiya, Hajia Maryam and they have 12 children for him.