- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Ikpeazu’s election, dismisses Alex Otti’s petition
- BREAKING: Tribunal dismisses petition against Taraba Gov, Ishaku’s election
- BREAKING: Reps orders CBN to suspend cashless policy
- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Udom’s election Victory
- BREAKING: Buhari sacks Head of Service, Oyo-Ita
- BREAKING: Second batch of 315 Nigerians arrive from South Africa
- BREAKING: Running mate crisis: Dickson sacks special adviser
- BREAKING: Buhari dissolves panel established by Osinbajo, issues new order to AGF Malami
- BREAKING: South Africa grants landing permit to Air Peace — Mission
- BREAKING: Delay in landing rights approval shifts evacuation of Nigerians
LASTMA officials, truck drivers clash during towing operation
A towing operation aimed at freeing up the service lane at the Toyota end of Oshodi-Apapa Expressway on Wednesday ended up in a clash between officials of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA) and the truck drivers Wednesday morning.
The lane has, over time, served as a parking space for truck operators and drivers, constraining the size of the road for vehicular movements to and fro Isolo.
The LASTMA officials arrived Toyota bus stop area of Oshodi opposite The Guardian Newspapers in a minibus and a branded Hilux vehicle in the company of armed men of the Nigeria Police Force at about 11:00 am.
A few minutes after arrival, the LASTMA officials, who split to different groups, commenced towing the trucks parked on the service.
However, the truck drivers, not wanting their vehicles to be towed away, tried to prevent the LASTMA officials from towing the trucks
While the protest got intense, police officers threatened to shoot into the air to scare away the protesters. But two of the drivers rushed on to LASTMA and police officers and were subsequently arrested.
Commander of the operation, a LASTMA official, who simply gave his name as Odulana, said they were acting on the directive of moving all vehicles hindering movements on roads across Lagos State.
“This is not about pleading or resisting. If you are not complying, your vehicles will be towed,” he said.