- BREAKING: Tribunal nullifies Dino Melaye’s election
- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
AFCON 2019: Rohr reveals why he didn’t play Osimhen, Onyekuru against Madagascar
Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has given his reasons for not fielding Victor Osimhen and Henry Onyekuru, in their 2-0 defeat to Madagascar on Sunday.
Rohr made five changes for Nigeria’s final Group B fixture, as they sought to finish top.
However, Osimhen and Onyekuru, who were expected to get minutes under their belt, did not make it off the bench.
When quizzed about their absence during his post-match conference, Rohr said: “We had to see other players. We wanted to see the goalkeeper Ezenwa, John Ogu and also Samuel Kalu after his health scare.
“We cannot change 11 players and the team is also decided by the attitude of players in training which shows who is ready or not.
“I wanted to see other players which was why I made five changes and that was perhaps why we were dominated by Madagascar. We have to work hard for the next match because that is more important.”