- BREAKING: Court restrains AGF, ICPC from seizing ex-Gov, Yari’s properties
- JUST IN: Former Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu Stoned By Angry Igbo Men in Nuremberg Germany (Video)
- BREAKING: Police arrest suspected murders of Enugu Catholic Priest
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife back by noon, says IMN
- BREAKING: Atiku’s son-in-law gets N20m bail
- BREAKING: Buhari suspends Obono-Obla, gives reason
- BREAKING: Another pastor kidnapped in Kaduna, abductors give family 5 days ultimatum
- BREAKING: Alleged money laundering: EFCC arraigns Atiku’s son-in-law, lawyer
- BREAKING: El-Zakzaky, wife not safe in Indian hospital, says IMN
- Breaking: Soldier finally arraigned for allegedly raping Ondo undergraduate
Ebola kills pastor in DR Congo
Pastor who laid hands on the sick, becomes first person to die of ebola in DR Congo’s largest city
The first ebola patient in Goma, the largest city in the east of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has been confirmed dead, days after he got infected with the deadly virus.
DRC’s health ministry said the Pastor got infected after visiting Butembo, one of the epicentres of the epidemic, before taking a bus to Goma. The pastor had preached at seven churches during his visit to Butembo, a town 300km to the north of Goma, and reportedly laid his hands on worshippers, including people who were ill.
Speaking at an Ebola response meeting on Tuesday, North Kivu province’s Governor Carly Nzanzu said the City’s first ebola patient died while being driven from Goma to a clinic in Butembo on Monday to receive treatment.
“Unfortunately, I can confirm that the patient died,” Nzanzu said. “He died during transfer by road.”
Health officials have already identified 60 people who had come into contact with the pastor after he became sick, half of them have already been vaccinated.