- BREAKING: Tribunal nullifies Dino Melaye’s election
- Breaking: Confusion as 2 groups stage protests for, against Oyo youngest commissioner
- BREAKING: Ex-Super Falcons player, Ifeanyi Chiejine is dead
- BREAKING: Fatoyinbo snubbed PFN’s investigating panel on rape allegation
- BREAKING: Court dismisses HDP’s petition against Buhari, APC, INEC
- Breaking: Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas
- BREAKING: Buhari remains Minister of Petroleum
- BREAKING: Court adjourns for judgment on Atiku’s petition
- BREAKING: Buhari begins swearing-in of ministers
- BREAKING: Supreme Court rejects Atiku, PDP’s request to access ‘INEC server’
AFCON 2019: Rohr confirms Mikel Obi will no longer play for Super Eagles
Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr, has all but confirmed that John Obi Mikel’s time with the national team is over.
Speaking after the 1-0 win over Tunisia in the Africa Cup of Nations third-place playoff, Rohr admitted he was already looking for replacements for the midfielder.
“We have to salute Mikel’s great career, he didn’t play in the qualifiers but it was good for the team that he is here.
“Now we have to look at others, but we don’t have many midfielders in top clubs.
“We have Semi Ajayi, Iwobi, Etebo, Ndidi. But we have to work hard to find a replacement,” the German said.
Mikel Obi, who struggled with injuries all through the AFCON, only featured in two matches.