- BREAKING: AGF takes over Sowore’s case from DSS
- BREAKING: US seizes jet of Nigerian ‘involved in multi-million dollar fraud’
- BREAKING: Reps summon Power, Labour Ministers over planned strike by electricity workers
- BREAKING: Fresh Crisis rocks Presidency as Aisha Buhari attacks Mamman Daura, Garba Shehu
- BREAKING: Court stops Ganduje from creating Kano State Council of Chiefs
- BREAKING: Buhari names Adamu as new AMCON chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari Writes Senate, seeks confirmation of Nami as FIRS Chairman
- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
One dies as police, armed robbers clash in Delta
Delta State Police Command have reportedly killed a suspected armed robber during a robbery operation in the Udu Local Government Area of the state.
Newsmen learnt that the demised was a member of an armed robbery gang terrorising residents of Orhunwhorhun in the Udu area of the state.
According to Punch reports, The incident, according to sources, occurred on Tuesday.
Sources said the new Divisional Police Officer in charge of the Ovwian/Aladja Police Station, Anieteh Eyoh, and his men informed of an ongoing robbery operation by residents of the area.
The police, in collaboration with the local vigilante group in the area, reportedly ambushed the hoodlums, who were fleeing the scene.
The gunmen were alleged to have engaged the police in a gun battle resulting in the killing of one of the suspects.
A member of the vigilante group in the area told Southern City News that other members of the gang escaped.
A locally-made cut-to-size gun was said to have been recovered from the hoodlum during the clash.
A vigilante said, “The suspected armed robbers, on sighting the policemen and some of our members, immediately opened fire on us as they were escaping from the area. One of them was killed in the process. We suspect that other members of the gang were also injured.
“The gang has been terrorising our area for long. With the redeployment of the new DPO to Ovwian/Aladja Divisional Police Headquarters, we knew that their days were numbered.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr Adeyinka Adeleke, confirmed the incident on Thursday.
Residents of the Udu Local Government Area have commended the command for deploying Eyoh, a Chief Superintendent of Police, to the Ovwian/Aladja Police Station.
The residents urged the new DPO to tackle cultism and youth restiveness in the area, particularly in Ovwian, Orhunwhorhun, Aladja, Owase and other neighbouring communities due to the spate of killings and cult attacks in the area.
One of the residents, Mr Kevwe Akpomedaye, said, “We no longer sleep with two eyes closed in Udu, particularly in Orhunwhorhun, Aladja, Ovwian and Owase.
“We are glad that CSP Eyoh was transferred to this local government area. We know of how he and his men brought down the activities of criminals in Warri and Uvwie. We beg him to replicate same here.”