- BREAKING: Buhari appoints Nami to replace Fowler as FIRS boss
- DSS reacts to alleged re-arrest of Omoyele Sowore in court, says it was an orchestrated drama
- Hope for cardiac patients: medical breakthrough of 3D-printed heart gets backed by investor James Richman
- BREAKING: Intervene in Sowore’s case, SERAP writes US President, Trump
- JUST IN: IPOB ‘attacks’ Rotimi Amaechi in Spain
- BREAKING: IPOB leader, Nnamdi Kanu loses father
- BREAKING: DSS attempts to rearrest Sowore in court (VIDEO)
- BREAKING: Everton manager Marco Silva sacked
- BREAKING: DSS Finally Releases Sowore After 4 Months In Detention
- BREAKING: Senate passes 2020 Appropriation Bill, raises budget to N10.594trn
Mrcyu speaks on Beyonce’s Afrobeat-packed album, ‘Lion King,’ lists her best 5 tracks
Beyonce shone a light on African musicians in her new album “Lion King: The Gift,” and Nigerian-American singer, MrcyU has reacted to the just-released body of work which has taken the Nigerian music space by storm.
The album which dropped on Friday, July 19, features the likes of Wizkid, Burnaboy, Tiwa Savage, Tekno, Yemi Alade, Mr. Eazi and Ghanaian reggae-dancehall musician, Shatta Wale, among others.
In an exclusive interview with Opera News Daily Advent, MrcyU who is a big fan of Beyonce and her music spoke about the ‘Lion King’ movie and album with zest while also analyzing what the recent collaborations mean for Nigerian musicians and Afrobeat.
“I am over-excited about the new movie and the soundtrack! When I heard about the features on the soundtrack I almost jumped out My pants lool. I love how Beyonce keeps things on hush hush and then drops bombs on us, and this is definitely some bombs.
“The features and collaborations are bananas! I’ve listened to the full album and there are some songs that stuck out to me that I’m already jamming to.”
Here are MrcyU’s Best 5 songs on Beyonce’s ‘Lion King: The Gift’ album
1. Bigger – Beyoncé
“The first time I listened to it riding in the car in Lagos streets, I nearly cried. The message is so profound as it speaks to the individual and us as Africans at large, and even all of humanity. It’s a beautiful song. The inspirational lyrics coupled with Beyonce’s melodic voice is truly touching and sparks something within me,” said MrcyU.
2. Ja ara e – Burna Boy
“Anything Burna boy is right. He lights everything he’s on and the beat is fire. Overall the song has some cool vibes.”
3. Keys to the kingdom – Tiwa Savage & Mr Eazi
“Two of My favourite Artistes on this jam I love it! Its one of those songs you can listen to on repeat in any mood, and I love the lyrics on this one as well.”
4. Other side – Beyoncé
“This song is beautiful. It reminds me of the back-in-the-day Beyonce with a ballad R&B feel and showing off her range with the lows and highs. I love the chant and the variation in the musical arrangement. Its a beautiful genius song.”
5. Brown Skin Girl – Beyoncé, SAINt JHN & Wizkid f. Blue Ivy Carter
“This is an instant jam and speaks volumes. Wizkid nailed it, Bey nailed it, and Blue Ivy nailed it. The beat is definitely something to dance to and the lyrics where good and catchy. I love how they shed light and appreciation for women of all shades.
“These song gets 5 stars. Overall I so much appreciate this album and its just more confirmation to what I’ve said before, Afrobeat will be one of the biggest genres in the world. This is still just the beginning. Afrobeat to the world!”