- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
- BREAKING: We are ready to release Sowore – DSS
- BREAKING: Barely 24hrs after Oshiomhole Suspension, Edo APC suspends Edo Governor, Godwin Obaseki, Deputy Gov, SSG
- BREAKING: DSS disperses protesters seeking Sowore’s release
- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
14 Amazing Health Benefits Of Onions
Onions are not just useful as spices in meals but they also have a lot of health benefits. Let’s take a look at some of these benefits below.
1. They fight cancer
Research has shown that people who consume onions have low cancer rates, as onions make the body system unfavorable for cancer cells to communicate and thus prevent them from growing.
2. They help heart health
Red onions are rich in organosulfur which helps in preventing heart diseases. They also contain quercetin which has the potential to fight heart diseases.
3. They promote healthy digestion
Onions contain inulin which acts as fiber to the beneficial bacteria in the intestines. When you consume this fiber, your body maintains a good level of healthy bacteria.
4. They improve the immune system
The improvement in the immune system can be traced or attributed to the selenium in the vegetable which stimulates the immune functions.
5. They cure ear disorders
Research shows that onion juice can be used to relieve earache.
6. They improve sleep
Onions contain prebiotics which helps to improve sleep and reduce stress.
7. They enhance eye health
Onions contain sulfur which facilitates the health of the lens of the eyes. The selenium in onions also supports vitamin E in the eyes.
8. They are good for oral health
Eating onions raw is the best because cooking might destroy some beneficial compounds in them. Onions are also rich in vitamin C which keeps the teeth healthy. Use onions to relieve tooth pain also. But onions can cause bad breath. Therefore, brush your teeth thoroughly after consuming them.
9. They help treat cholera
Onions have been discovered to have an inhibitory effect against the microbe responsible for cholera—V.cholerae.
10. They give an energy boost
Observation shows that the fiber in onions keeps the energy levels stable.
11. They improve sexual health
Onions can be used as herbal medicines to manage sexual impotence and erectile dysfunction. To increase fertility in men, onions are preferred to be taken with honey.
12. They enhance brain health
Onions make the brain healthy by binding and flushing out harmful toxins from the body with the antioxidants in them.
13. They make skin glow
You can make an onion face mask which adds glow to and helps exfoliate your skin.
14. They promote hair growth
Onions contain sulfur which makes it good for hair growth. Apply onion juice to your hair and scalp to increase blood supply to the hair follicles and also enhance hair growth. Onions help to treat dandruff, reverse gray hair, maintain hair colour and also eliminate head lice.
You should include more onions in your diet after reading this.