- BREAKING: Reps orders CBN to suspend cashless policy
- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds Udom’s election Victory
- BREAKING: Buhari sacks Head of Service, Oyo-Ita
- BREAKING: Second batch of 315 Nigerians arrive from South Africa
- BREAKING: Running mate crisis: Dickson sacks special adviser
- BREAKING: Buhari dissolves panel established by Osinbajo, issues new order to AGF Malami
- BREAKING: South Africa grants landing permit to Air Peace — Mission
- BREAKING: Delay in landing rights approval shifts evacuation of Nigerians
- BREAKING: Tribunal upholds election of Gov. Makinde
- BREAKING: South African envoys designated to beg Nigerians arrive Abuja
FRSC blows hot over Road Safety officials collecting bribe from motorists
The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) on Wednesday vowed to dismiss from service any of its personnel found extorting motorists.
The Corps Public Education Officer, Mr Bisi Kazeem, gave this warning in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Abuja on Wednesday.
Kazeem said this while disclosing the recent arrest of 37 FRSC operatives for alleged extortion of motorists on the highways.
NAN reports that a team comprising the FRSC, ICPC and DSS recently made the arrest of the erring personnel.
The FRSC management had in a complaint to ICPC said the incidents of extortion were rife in six states; Kaduna, Bauchi, Abia, Rivers, Kogi and Ogun.
Kazeem, however, said that the magnitude of the penalty would depend on the gravity or weight of the evidence and exhibit against personnel involved in the act.
“We abhor corruptive tendencies.
“There are internal mechanisms, the Corps Marshal Monitoring Unit and Surveillance and Intelligence Unit.
“There is also zonal commanding officers unit of surveillance and monitoring, sector commanders unit, all aimed at checking excesses of marshals.
“The corps marshal felt that reports concerning the issue of extortion is getting alarming and didn’t want to stop at internal mechanism.’’
According to him, this necessitated the collaboration with the ICPC and DSS.
“They deployed technology and made the arrest,” he said, adding that the exercise would be sustained in order to rid the corps of bad eggs.