- BREAKING: Court threatens to strike out charge against Diezani
- BREAKING: Bayelsa APC deputy guber candidate disqualified
- Confusion as Appeal Court rules on Oyo guber poll
- BREAKING: Tam David-West dies at 83
- BREAKING: Petrol tanker burst into flame at Ipaja Road in Lagos State
- Akpabio triumphs as Appeal Court orders rerun in one local govt
- BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Adeyeye, declares Olujimi winner
- BREAKING: Sowore meets bail conditions, to be released from DSS today
- Lagos Fire: Burning building collapses, kills policeman
- BREAKING: Chelsea complete stunning comeback to draw with nine-man Ajax
Armed men attack community in Imo state, kill five and injure several others
No fewer than five persons were killed by unknown gunmen in the early hours of Thursday, August 22nd in Ilile, a community in Ohaji-Egbema Council Area, Imo State.
According to reports, the gunmen stormed the community around 3:00am, killing a retired police officer and a leader in the community. Also, many other people were hospitalised after sustaining bullet wounds.
An eyewitness, who spoke on the incident, said, “Five persons have been confirmed dead. Among the dead are a retired police officer, Mr Ukpabi, the immediate past president-general of our community, Napoleon Amadi, a member of vigilante group in our community, Uwagwu Eze and two others.
“Three persons died on the spot while two others died at the hospitals. Several others are lying critically at the hospital. The hoodlums killed the victims in their houses while they were asleep. It was indeed a tragedy.”
However, Police Public Relations Officers in the state, Orlando Ikeokwu, said three persons were killed, adding that he could not ascertain the cause of the attack.
He said, “I can confirm that three persons were killed. But I cannot confirm if it was cult-related because they came and shot their targets.
The Commissioner of Police has ordered a full-blown investigation into the killings with a view to bringing the perpetrators to justice.”