- BREAKING: INEC official abducted in Lokoja
- BREAKING: Sanwo-Olu begins payment of N35, 000 Minimum wage to Lagos workers
- BREAKING: Buhari on his way back to Nigeria
- BREAKING: Yola Varsity Chaplain, Prof Felix Ilesani, kidnapped
- BREAKING: Former Minister of Information, Alex Akinyele is dead
- BREAKING: Kidnapped Appeal Court judge, Justice Chioma Nwosu-Iheme regains her freedom
- BREAKING: Nigerian Air Force helicopter crash lands in Enugu
- BREAKING: Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s case against Fatoyinbo
- BREAKING: APC has no guber candidate for Bayelsa election, Court declares
- BREAKING: Scores feared dead, many injured as PDP, APC supporters clash in Bayelsa
Xenophobia: South African officials frustrates evacuation, stops Nigerians without valid papers
The South African authorities are frustrating the evacuation of Nigerians who have completed processes for the first batch of airlift from that country, according to the Nation.
The Air Peace aircraft which left Nigeria 11:30 pm Tuesday arrived Tambo International Airport, Johannesburg about 4:00 am.
However, sources at the Nigerian High Commission in Johannesburg told the newsmen that the Commission had prepared the first 320 Nigerians for the first evacuation, but, the South African Immigration officials started fomenting trouble by arresting Nigerians billed to be evacuated.
The source said that the officials are demanding relevant travel documents, even as they accused the Nigerians of travelling without valid papers.
The Nigerian High Commission had prepared travel documents for the Nigerians but Immigration wanted to know how the Nigerians came into the country and began to arrest them, the official disclosed.
“South Africa is frustrating Nigeria. The Air Peace aircraft has been there since 4:00 am. Their Immigration started giving our High Commission problems. They said some Nigerians didn’t have papers. Immigration is arresting them, asking them to explain how they came to South Africa.
“About five minutes ago only 182 Nigerians were allowed to board the flight; the rest are being barred by South Africa Immigration.
They are frustrating the Nigerian High Commission, taking the passengers away. They want to frustrate the airline and the Nigerian government. The aircraft has on, burning fuel since 4:00 am. They are not happy that Nigeria is evacuating its citizens. They don’t want the world to know that a Nigerian airline and Nigerian government is evacuating them.
“Our high Commission is having tough time with South African government. They are stopping and arresting Nigerians, saying they should explain how they came into the country,” the official said.